Gonna try it out!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NGRIdave

Original poster
Apr 12, 2021
Cincinnati,Ohio
Don't know if this is the right place to post or not(still getting used to this) But in my last post I was saying about my concerns with not having enough smoke flavor in the new PBVS4 so I took the advice given by members here and got me some A-maz-n smoke tubes and gonna do some beef ribs tomorrow. I will post pictures once I figure out how to do it. ( I aint that good with computer stuff) But anyways I got the beef ribs at the famous Findley Market here in Cincinnati and rubbed them good and are in the fridge till tomorrow. I was thinking of going 250 for about 6hrs. I wanna take the water pan out of the bottom holder and move it up ontp the bottom rack and put the tube (1 tube 12in) below that.
Using mesquite pellets in the unit as well as the tube.
6 pcs of good sized beef ribs.
I was thinking of 3 hrs smoke at 250 then wrapping for an hour then another 2 to 3 hrs unwrapped with smoke.
I have my InkBird therm and gonna plan on looking for about a 190 IT.
Does this sound ok or is there anything I should consider?
Temp higher or lower? Time longer?
Saw the one thread on main page with the beef ribs picture and just had to try!
New to this but really enjoy smoking meat even if I mess it up. Heck only way to learn is to try it is what I think.
Thanks, Dave

I have my InkBird therm and gonna plan on looking for about a 190 IT.

Cook them until they reach tenderness - not by time or to a specific temp. There's a good chance they will take longer than you are planning and finish at a much higher temperature.

Cook them until they reach tenderness - not by time or to a specific temp. There's a good chance they will take longer than you are planning and finish at a much higher temperature.
I saw that most were talking about that, Using the poke test to see if its like going thru butter type thing. I will do that. When ya say longer and at a higher temp when finished does that mean I should set the temp higher??
Thanks, Dave

No, 250F is fine. Usually when they pass poke test for me, they are ~203F internal. But that can vary greatly so go by feel. Personally, I would not wrap - particularly if you feel you're not getting enough smoke flavor.
Do you know what kind of beef ribs they are? Back, chuck, plate? Post a pic if not sure.

cook 'em until when you poke the thickest meaty end with your finger, it bruises like a tomato, just remember that those juices (that run out) will be hot!

If they're already split or "singles", expect a ton of variance between doneness. some thin ones might finish as fast as 4hrs, others 6+

No, 250F is fine. Usually when they pass poke test for me, they are ~203F internal. But that can vary greatly so go by feel. Personally, I would not wrap - particularly if you feel you're not getting enough smoke flavor.
Do you know what kind of beef ribs they are? Back, chuck, plate? Post a pic if not sure.
Tell ya the truth...I just looked at the short ribs and said "I want those!" lol! They look pretty dang good so I will have to reseach what the difference is next time. I wish I knew how to post pictures but I will take pictures and have my future son in law come over and have him show me how to do it. (he's younger than I so he will know how to do it I'm sure). So anyways Im gonna go at 250 then and look for an internal of 203. I wont wrap them so if I mess it up it's your fault now!! HaHa!!
Thanks for the help all and I'll keep ya posted thru the day!
Dave

Reactions: mike243
Well... I started the smoker and it was smoking really good. I set it at 250 and the Ink bird said it was at 315 in just about a half hr but the unit was reading 183. So I tried to turn the temp up and it wouldnt go past 204 before showing the "H" code. Manual says that is the overheated code or too hot. I turned her off and gonna try here in bout an hour. I tell ya...if it can go wrong it will happen to me!
Dave

I ended up calling the Pit Boss Hot line and they said that the temp prob in the unit is malfunctioned and sending out a new one. The dang thing aint even 3 smokes in!! Had to use the off set with charcol and wood chunks. Boy I tell ya...I know why some of ya are called Pit Masters cuse its a little tricky keeping the temp using just the vents! They turned out pretty good but not as nice looking as the picture on here that I saw! But they were pretty good. Have a good week everyone! Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky