Gig Davey Crocket Smoke Temps off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jabbaworks

Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Hi Folks, how ya doing?

IM switching from a trusted webber smoky mountain smoker to a GMG Davey Crocket Pellet smoker.
Id say im am intermediate level pitmaster. I have been testing this new baby and love thee are of use. However I noticed the temps being very different.
Normally id smoke between 250 and 275 degrees. but thats super hot in the Davey Crocket. The manufacturer recommends 185 for a brisket for 8-10 hours. Most BBQ lore says 255-265.

So why is the pellet smoker running lower? I did notice stuff gets done too fast. Eg a try tip that would normally tale 2.5-3hrs now seems at 200 degree after only 60-90minutes. Im trying to consolidate my old knowledge (under 200 you are not really smoking anything) against having dried up meat. I do spritz it every hour but still having issues. any help?

The first thing is to verify the temps with a calibrated 3rd party thermometer. Also note that temps can vary quite a bit from one end of the pit to the other. But also be aware that a pellet grill is a convection oven - lots of airflow so food will cook faster.

I would check your grill temps with another thermo. Just my opinion, but it sounds like you’re running hotter than you want. I hope you get it figured out. Good luck!

The first thing is to verify the temps with a calibrated 3rd party thermometer. Also note that temps can vary quite a bit from one end of the pit to the other. But also be aware that a pellet grill is a convection oven - lots of airflow so food will cook faster.
The temps are accurate within +/-5 degrees.

Convection yes, so how do I ADJUST standard smoking law and receipts to that? is 260 really 185 in convection? I did not anticipate having to recalculate all of this. what temp do you smoke ribs, brisket, pork shoulder?

I would check your grill temps with another thermo. Just my opinion, but it sounds like you’re running hotter than you want. I hope you get it figured out. Good luck!
see above. they temps are ok its more than what I know to be a good temp seems to be too WAY too hot now which sucks as I cant trust any receipt now.

I did not anticipate having to recalculate all of this. what temp do you smoke ribs, brisket, pork shoulder?

I smoke ribs at 275F, unwrapped takes 3 to 3.5 hours
Brisket and butt usually at 225-250.

You don't need to lower the temp so that you achieve the same cooking time - just accept that food will cook quicker. However. pellet grills do put out more smoke at lower temps, and since the food cooks slower, they will be in the smoke longer. This is important for some folks that feel they are not getting enough smoke flavor from their pellet grills.

I smoke ribs at 275F, unwrapped takes 3 to 3.5 hours
Brisket and butt usually at 225-250.

You don't need to lower the temp so that you achieve the same cooking time - just accept that food will cook quicker. However. pellet grills do put out more smoke at lower temps, and since the food cooks slower, they will be in the smoke longer. This is important for some folks that feel they are not getting enough smoke flavor from their pellet grills.
good example! at that temp my ribs were barely getting a break, just too dry in the Davy crocket as the airflow is higher. did you add a waterpan?

I have a tiny brisket in there right now (came from one of those corned brisket packets from Ralphs, dont hate, they did to have anything different). its in the 1.5 hours and already at 160degree being smokes at 165-185degrees. at that temp id normally expect the stall and wrap. but now it has barely any bark since I peached this stage in 90minutes and not 5 hours as normal.
what do I do?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky