Getting a better texture

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
Made a batch of pork (shoulder) sausage links that had a great flavor but they are a little bit 'grainy'. Does more fat help the texture?
Would a binder like powdered milk meld it all together a little better?
More time in the mixer?
The wife likes the store-bought texture and it would be nice if I can get my links close to that.

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm sure someone will be along to help you... I'm not much farther ahead of you so no reason for the blind to lead the blind lol.

Ryan

Made a batch of pork (shoulder) sausage links that had a great flavor but they are a little bit 'grainy'. Does more fat help the texture?
More time in the mixer?
The wife likes the store-bought texture and it would be nice if I can get my links close to that.

Thanks
Pork shoulder usually has enough fat in it to make a great sausage. Grainy sausage can be caused by a few issues. 1. fat not cold enough when grinding causing the fat to smear. 2. fat too cold when grinding which destroys fat integrity..you want it between 28-32*F. 3. mixing to long 4. mixing at too warm a temperature. 5. And for smoke sausages... bringing the heat up too fast which causes the links to tighten up and squeeze out moisture. 6. Not cooking with a stepped cooking schedule.
7. allowing the heat to rise above 165*F for too long which will cause fat out and produce a grainy sausage.

The use of a binder will keep a sausage more moist. But if the fat integrity is broken, it will not matter when you go to cook it. Fat integrity is the #1 issue when it comes to grainy sausages. See above notes for causes.

Wrong type of fat.....but this is not an issue if you use shoulder, more of an issue using meat from a whole animal. Back fat is best for smoke sausages.

Also, if you add in acidic ingredients to your sausage, this will affect the bind negatively and could produce a grainy texture. optimum pH for smoke sausages is around pH6-7. If it drops down below about pH5.5 you will have issues.

More time in the mixer?

Thanks
Inda has given you excellent advice and the science behind the why and how it all works in depth.

Grainy sausage from pork butt grind:

cooked to hot to fast and for to long, that is the first and short answer. IT of pork sausage only needs to reach 145*F. Going beyond that cooks the fat out and leaves the sausage grainy or crumbly. My advice is to take things low and slow, don’t get in a hurry. You did not say if sausages were cured with cure #1 or were fresh. If they were not cured then dont do a step up on temps as in 120-130-140-160F, if fresh just cook to 145F within 4 hours.

Keep your meat always cold. Mix the meat grind for good protein extraction, meaning to mix with seasoning until mix is good and sticky. Mix until a small ball sized bit of mince taken on your fingers turned down will not easily fall off with gravity.

You did not post your process so we are all just assuming and guessing at our advice to be helpful.

Mix the meat grind for good protein extraction, meaning to mix with seasoning until mix is good and sticky. Mix until a small ball sized bit of mince taken on your fingers turned down will not easily fall off with gravity.
#1 reason in my opinion.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Made a batch of pork (shoulder) sausage links that had a great flavor but they are a little bit 'grainy'.
You leave a lot to be assumed in your post . So I'm assuming you made a breakfast sausage type link ? If so The safe internal temp for ground meat fresh sausage is 165 .

145 as suggested above would work with lean , whole muscle intact pork .

Some good advice above , along with the lean to fat ratio , the correct amount of salt and a good mix should fix your trouble .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky