German sausage roll

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vanative

Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I was wondering if any of you have any recipes for this. We have an awesome German restaurant nearby and they serve these as a loose sausage wrapped in cabbage. They have a really unique taste, unlike any other sausage i have had. Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

here this one looks pretty good this is a popular dish here around the "Burgh" we have a lot of Polish and Germans around here, and trust me everyone just makes these with rarely an actual  recipe, we just kind of  "make"  them. 

around here we pronounce them as "halupki" but are also affectionately called "pigs in the blanket" and of course "cabbage rolls" what ever you want to call them they are delicious and make sure you make some home made mashed potatoes and use the tomato sauce as the gravy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/stuffed-cabbage-rolls-galumpkis-recipe/index.html

Last edited:
popcorn.gif

Take that recipe, roll out the meat, stuff the cabbage in the middle, wrap the outside with bacon, that would be a hell of a fattie!

You could call it a Polish Fattie or a German Fattie, If you put sauerkraut in the middle would lean more towards German.

Just my 2 cents.

Just had Halupki at ChefJimmy's Wigilia. They were excellent and I Jimmy shares the recipe. With that said, I know what you are referring and are not Halupki. I have an older German cookbook, which I am sure has that recipe. As soon as I get back home I will dig it out and post the recipe for you.

Thanks all. I know what halupki is (my wife is from western PA and we had them at our wedding). These are bigger, they are just sausage with no rice and they are wrapped in cabbage and bacon strips. I am currently at the in laws and we were talking about them this morning. We have the big "definitive" German cookbook at home and i will check when we get back, but if you come across it Shannon i would love to see it.

Here you go.  I gave it my best shot at translation:

Kohlrouladen

8-10 large cabbage leaves

Filling:

¼ cup pearled barley
1/2 lb ground beef

1/2 lb finely chopped bacon

2 eggs
1 med onion diced
½ tsp Nutmeg

1 tsp Steinpilzpulver (My best translation would be powdered mushroom, not sure if that is right)
½
tsp hot paprika
1 tsp ground mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

oil

Boil the barley in water until soft.  Steam cabbage to remove and soften leaves.  Cut the large rib on the cabbage soak in “very salty water” (not sure what is very salty) for 4 minutes. Fry onions in oil until tender.  Allow barley and onions to cool, add to beef and bacon along with eggs and spices.  Spoon the filling into the center of cabbage leaf and roll.  Lightly fry rolls seam down (I believe they mean to fry at a lower temperature, rather than a quick frying) 

Sauce:

3 cups vegetable stock or chicken broth
2 cloves of garlic

1 med onion diced

1 cup of sliced mushrooms
1 Tbsp.
Tomato paste
2/3 cup of heavy cream
1/2 lemon, the juice
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp potato flour to bind

parsley leaves to garnish

Sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms in oil, add the juice of ½ lemon, tomato paste and sugar.  Deglaze pan with 1 cup of broth.  Bring to a boil add potato flour which has been added to water.  Remove from heat add gently stir in heavy cream and remaining broth.  Place rolls in baking pan seam down and cover with sauce.  Bake at 175 degrees C—350 F for 35-40 minutes or until rolls are soft and sauce has thickened.   Garnish with fresh parsley.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky