Georgia Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I am doing some BBQ ribs for someone who hails from Georgia. I want them to let the folks back home know that Wisconsinites can BBQ.

Anyone from Georgia on here that can give me a few pointers on what a good rib is to a Georgian?

My initial game plan is Killer Hogs and Killer Hogs hot rub and Jeff's Original BBQ sauce. You think this is a good start?

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

I'm a fan of Stubbs pork rub. Opppps you mean the state and not the town in VT. Sorry :emoji_laughing:

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: JC in GB
I've lived in Georgia the last 28 years, originally from NJ, (31 years) I can tell you there's really no specific Georgia BBQ. Some places serve with a sweet heat type, some use a Ketchup molasses style with some heat. My personal favorite from a Restaurant here is a Vinegar based sauce, a little spicy.
Most of the BBQ here is smoked with Hickory as the main flavored wood. Hope this helps. Let us know how your guests like it.

Mike

Jeff's Original Sauce would be excellent. I started using it recently on my Ribs, and we are loving it! Sorry I meant to put that in the previous post.

Mike

Can't help ya with the Georgian part, but do you know if they like their ribs wet or dry, also with some bite or fotb? Might make a difference of being good ribs or the best they ever had.

Ryan

Probably can’t help you a lot. I used to work at Emory a lot, and always tried to get to Community Q in Decatur. Many reviews will call it the best bbq in Atlanta. If I got there too late for the beef ribs, I usually got the fantastic brisket. I think their pork ribs were StL, lightly sauced, not quite FOTB but leaning that way, but usually still with a clean bite. Frankly, the best dish there is their Mac n cheese. It will be mentioned in virtually every review. If I drove that trip, I would get some to bring home. :emoji_yum:

I've lived in Georgia the last 28 years, originally from NJ, (31 years) I can tell you there's really no specific Georgia BBQ. Some places serve with a sweet heat type, some use a Ketchup molasses style with some heat. My personal favorite from a Restaurant here is a Vinegar based sauce, a little spicy.
Most of the BBQ here is smoked with Hickory as the main flavored wood. Hope this helps. Let us know how your guests like it.

Mike

Thank you. That was a wealth of information. I was going to use pecan wood for smoke but now I am going to a cherry hickory blend.

Now if I can pull this off, I will be getting talked about in Georgia..... Woo hoo!!

JC

Myron Mixon hails from Georgia and likes to smoke with peach wood, cause he's a Georgia peach I guess, so your combo blend might be just about right, who knows. Undercooked won't do, and FOTB might be a sin, shoot for perfect! Good luck! RAY

That's true, fotb won't do. Nice clean bite through, a little more than competition would be. I watch a lot of BBQ Pitmasters, and have heard Myron say he uses peach wood, but have also heard him say he doesn't like it too sweet. Either way I'm sure they'll like what you give them.

Mike

So it looks like I am making competition ribs.

Nice.. I accept the challenge!

Will post some pics..

So I was going to use Killer Hogs Rub on the ribs but realized that I didn't have enough. I mixed up a batch of Jeff's original rub and finished it with some Killer Hogs Hot.

Made a variation of Jeff's original BBQ sauce to finish the ribs.
Pit controller holding temp at 250.

20200704_095945_HDR.jpg

5 racks of back ribs. They are nice and meaty.

20200704_102722_HDR.jpg

Cherry Hickory Oak whiskey barrel for smoke.

Ribs turned out perfectly. Not quite FOTB but fully rendered and you could easily pull the bone from the meat tender. Everyone loved them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky