Generating smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Keeblet14

Original poster
Jul 27, 2019
I am new to smoking and am using a masterbuilt electric smoker. I can’t seem to get smoke to generate unless I turn the smoker up to 265-270. The problem is the meat cooks too quickly then. I just did a 6 pound chicken in 3 hours instead of the normal 5-6.

Any suggestions on how to generate smoke at lower temps to slow the cooking process down?

A smoke generator like AmazN (one of the sponsors of this site) has been my go to. You can also make them if you have the patience to experiment. My MES (masterbuilt electric smoker) would not produce consistent smoker. AmazN solved that. Bearcarver (https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/members/bearcarver.33097/) has a good write up on different MES models and where to put the smoke generator. Have fun getting it dialed in. You'll be happy you did it. Good luck. Show us some pictures too.

What's wrong with cooking at 275? You can still get awesome tender bbq at that temp. It's more about pulling the meat when it probes tender than what temp you cooked it at.

Another thing, you shouldn't actually see much smoke when you are smoking meat. You want a clear to blue color smoke. But it is possible you are seeing no smoke and don't have good smoke flavor.

What kind of wood are you using? And how are you prepping it? I know many people supplement electric smokers with pellet tubes. It probably depends on how heavy you like the smoke.

Reactions: dr k
I have a mes 30, all that I use is the amnps with the mailbox mod, like mentioned check out bearcarver he has a lot info there about the mes

drdon and smokerjim give good advice. I hardly ever smoke without the mailbox mod, and I have had no luck using the Amazen products in the smoker itself. Many times I even double up and and use chips as well as the tube or tray pellet smoker in the mailbox.

Plenty of smoke on runs of 12 to 16 hours at 225 to 245. And that’s what is left. Nice useable charcoal for grilling the hamburgers.

E89D1E45-C7E2-4546-B1DC-0BA4FB02E21C.jpeg

I've been meaning to look for that mod thread pilot. You have a link to it? I remember the discussion anyways but can't recall the name of the thread.

Thanks everyone. It turned out delicious and juicy. I will continue to tinker with it and try out different meats.

Attachments

• 5FED375C-25EF-46CE-849B-3E117EA9E6D0.jpeg
    5FED375C-25EF-46CE-849B-3E117EA9E6D0.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky