General question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phillipleondria

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Ok guys, recently the wife oked a new smoker purchase, but on rethinking i really love the ole smoke hollow. So im going to put some of that new smoker money in making it the smoker i want rather than starting over. I know this should be over in the build thread, but i wanted more eyes on it with suggestions. First i have noticed when i smoke i get some back draw of smoke coming out my air intake. I am positive i can increase my draw, my questions begin with this.

Overall dimensions
Smoke chamber 18 x 17 x 23 = 7038 ci
Fire box 14 x 14 x 14 = 2744 ci
Opening 12 x 2.5 = 30 sq in feldon recommends 21.95
Intake vent 6.25 round =which is about 30 square inches, but because of design only about 15 are functional. Feldon recommends 8.25 square inch opening
Chimney pipe is 3 inch diameter feldon recommends 19.42 in length it is currently 12.5 in length including dropping my stack to grate level

1. Would lengthening my chimney improve draw

2. Would remodeling door, making a vent at the bottom, as well as a similarvent at the top with a baffle to direct air towards smoke chamber improve draft.

3. Would a convection plate hinder my draft flow or does it have a nominal effect on draft, simply improving heat distribution

Thanks guys in advance for any help.

Hmmm, more than two days without an answer.  Yeah, probably better over in the build section.

I can only answer one question: Yes, increasing the length of the chimney will improve the draw.  I can't answer the rest, but the door idea does not sound like a solution to me.  Could create more problems than it attempts to solve.   

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky