Gen 2 or 2.5 masterbuilt smoker and amnps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grego83

Original poster
Jul 19, 2016
Hello all! This is my first post here and was wondering if I can get some help from this lovely group. I just purchased a masterbuilt 30" electric smoker shown here

I'm not sure if it's gen 2 or 2.5? My first smoked pork butt came out amazing but it took 15 hours!

I instantly got sick of babysitting the smoke and bought the amnps 5x8 tray after reading all the rave reviews.

My question is, where the heck to I put it? It doesn't fit on the bottom drip tray unless I take the tray out. I will be testing a dry run tomorrow when my pellets arrive. I know I need to open the vents all the way and pull out the chip loader and tray to keep it burning but my question is the ideal position. Here is a pic of the inside of the smoker

I am having a big party next week and wanted to put it on the night before. Im going to try and fit 3 butts on here so I'm not to sure where I will place the tray. Looks like the only option is to remove the huge drip tray on the bottom and cover with foil?

In the future I will probably try the mailbox mod but that's not happening before the party. Thanks so so much for any help in advance.

It is a Gen 2.5.

I've had fairly good luck on the bottom shelf either eztreme left or right. Probably the best results on the right. Each is different so milage may vary. I'm still learning to use the AMNPS properly and had to open the door to breath a little life into the pellets, I think the issue was I pulled the chip loader out a bit too far and restricted the airflow. Best results were after I discovered what I had done and just removed the chip loader altogether.

I will be doing a mailbox mod soon. If for no other reason, I will be able to mess with the pellets if need arises and not suffer the consequences of opening the smoker. That can really add alot of time to a smoke. Don't ask how I know.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky