Geek project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

engineer

Original poster
Jan 13, 2015
My younger brother and I are both engineering students, so anything we build is guaranteed to be absurdly complicated. We're just doing it for fun, and hey, if someone offers to buy the thing when we're done, all the better.  

We have a Bradley Original and it works great.  We've done ham, bacon, summer sausage, chickens...  Using that basic idea, we are going to duplicate and maybe improve its features.  

1.  My questions are about hardware.  I'm going to start looking for a broken old fridge with a mostly metal interior.  Once I have that, what's the best source or model for an electric heat element, to get the interior up to cooking levels?  

2.  I am planning on having it actually use Bradley biscuits because they are readily available, and that will make the thing easier to sell when it's done.  So, what kind of element should I use for a burner to turn the biscuits into smoke?  Has someone tried this?  Did it work?  Can you link me to something I can use here?  

3.  I found auberins.com on another post here, and I think I'll buy a few thermocouple sensors...one for the interior temp, and a pointy one for the actual meat temp.  Are these things pretty easy to work with?

We're going to program a microcontroller to have these functions; hold a temperature (plus or minus a few...we don't need a PID controller), keep the smoke going (advance the biscuits once every twenty minutes), and shut down when the food is done.  All we need for electronics is a knob and a button for temp settings, the two thermometers, and a servo to run the biscuit hopper.  

Thanks in advance, 

Matthew

Hello Matthew.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.  As for your question: Read through the fridge freezer build forum.  This has all been done.  Don't mean to rain on your parade.  The members have posted where to find the parts.  Good luck.  Hope it sells.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky