Gearing up for the big-bird

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FoxmanNC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 10, 2020
I’ve never liked turkey if I’m honest. A lot of Thanksgivings', I don't eat any of it at all. The closest I come to tolerating it is the dark meat. I decided to get a turkey breast, (bone-in) and followed Jeremy Yoder’s (Mad Scientist BBQ) recipe injecting the breast with butter mixed with ancho chili powder and chipotle chili powder. Smoked at 200 for 2 hours, then 325 till it hit 165 IT, roughly another 1.5-2hrs. Just salt and pepper for the rub. Smoked with Pecan. Oh, my, goodness. By far, the best turkey I’ve ever had. I think I can eat turkey after all.
Turkey 1.jpg Turkey 2.jpg

Reactions: kruizer
I'm not a big injector for poultry anymore as I found it overpowers the flavor of the meat. Just butter and rub under the skin on the breasts and coat the outside in rub for me! Hard to argue with your results though. Looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: FoxmanNC
I can agree I’m not a big turkey fan either. They are just meh when oven baked. I use to deep fry and well that was good but it’s been along time and I got rid of my deep fryer. Your turkey looks good. I want to get a small one soon and try it out. If it comes out good I’ll find a medium sized one and smoke it and take it to Thanksgiving dinner. Good job On the bird.

Reactions: FoxmanNC
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky