GDPR Compliance (that popup at the bottom)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Some of you may have seen the new popup at the bottom of the screen. It looks like this:

IMG_3467.jpg

Several months back, some regulations went into place that requires websites to inform all site visitors of the information that is known about them and being collected or saved. As most of you know, every single website you visit, places a cookie (small text file of information) on your computer. It contains information such as the type of browser you are using, whether you are using a PC or a smartphone, and other basic things such as that.

Some of these cookies also allow ad companies to learn what type of things you shop for and to serve you ads based on what you like. This can be a good thing in my opinion. For instance, I can always tell when my wife has been using my laptop.. I start seeing ads about purses, women's shoes, etc. instead of the normal outdoor gear that normally pops up.

The ad companies don't really know who I am but they know that whoever uses my laptop like outdoor gear and they stand a better chance serving me ads of things that I like rather than something generic.

To reiterate, It has no way of knowing your actual location, home address, your name, or any other identifiable information such as that.

This has been going on for many, many years-- nothing new here.

The popup at the bottom of the screen is what we (website owners) are required to do to to make sure that all users are aware of this and to give them some settings so they can limit some of this if they so desire.

This is a good thing.. none of us like anyone knowing more than they need to know about us and this is the way to make sure that you are protected from that. The regulations that were put into place allow YOU to control that.

Every single website is now having to provide this and if you go to any other websites other than SMF, you will see it. I've been running into it for months now in my own computer use.

Right now this is only mandated for users from European countries but we do not have the permissions nor the ability to only show it to European visitors.

Essentially, you can keep things as they have always been by clicking, "Continue to Site". Otherwise, you can click on "Manage Your Choices" to make some adjustments.

Note: Once you click on the button to continue or otherwise, you won't see the popup again. It's a one time thing.

Now you know as much as I think I know ;-)

Please let us know if you have any questions about this and we will do our best to get you an answer.

Also one thing to not that if you are a premier member and have ads turned off you do not have to worry about this at all as we do not allow any ad companies to seen you the tracking cookie since your ads are turned off. But you will still need to click continue to site.

You will only need to do this 1 time unless you clear your browser cache then it will popup again.

Reactions: TulsaJeff
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky