Gator Pit Texas Edition or RT-1250 or update controller

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellet user

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
I have looking at upgrading from my Louisiana Grills Champion to either a Texas Edition Pellet Cooker (gatorpit.net) or RT-1250 Wood Pellet Grill – recteq . My biggest complaint is the the temperature swings I get out my current grill 50-120° depending upon the setpoint. Factory hasn't been much help. I have debated putting in Savannah Stoker, Smoke Daddy or similar controller update. I live in Wisconsin and I do enjoy cooking year around on my pellet grill.

On the Gator Pit cooker I like the 1/4" steel and the Made in USA quality. The RT-1250 is thinner and while a lot if people have them I am not just over the moon for them.

I love my rec teq. There are no temp swing to speak of. Works perfect every time for about 3-4 years now. I would buy another in a second and highly recommend them to all looking for a solid pellet grill

Have you looked into the Lone Star Grillz pellet? You would be in the same price range as the gator and from reports the smoke profile is better and closer to a traditional offset.

I have not looked at them very much. Does anyone here cook on one, and do you like it?

From all the reports the Lone Star Grillz is superior to other pellet grills for smoke flavor. The only problem is they have a long waiting list, so if you need something fairly soon they may not be a great choice.

Where are all the reports you speak of? we have a pretty big following here and may have seen a thread or 2 about them over the years. I don't get out much so maybe missing some other sites where they are talked about by folks who own 1

I called Lone Star Grillz. Current lead-time is 5 months. I called Gator Pit and lead-time is 7 months. Neither is easy to get. I did not call RecTeq to see if they have the RT-1250 or Pitts and Spitts 1250 in stock.

Lead times on almost everything are crazy right now. Although in the world of quality smokers 5-7 months isn't terrible. Let us know what you decide to go with and how you like it once you have your hands on it.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...et-grill-calling-rec-teq-owners-users.310677/

I can't speak for the other one, but I recently got a RT 1250 and it is awesome! the 1250 has a number of upgrades over the 700, ie higher rpm auger, dual band wifi controller, wiring is cabled vs bare, front folding shelf, porcelain coated cast iron heat deflector, and second sliding shelf. Oh I got my 1250 delivered to my driveway very quick! I was strongly considering a yoder but 5-6 month wait....no go for me, but after getting the 1250 I'm extremely happy with it!

PS - Edit I smoke all winter, did a chuck smoke a little bit ago at 7 degrees no problemo!

Civilsmoker,

Thanks for your input. I am looking at RT-1250 as well. I feel like I am settling if go with it, but that may be the best choice.

Civilsmoker,

Thanks for your input. I am looking at RT-1250 as well. I feel like I am settling if go with it, but that may be the best choice.

I would put the spec's side by side to compare. You are pretty much getting a Smoke Daddy (Nice unit) unit on a 1/4 body.

Just some quick things I noticed between the two on the web page review.
Temp range - RT 180 to 700, GT 160 to 450
Ignitor rode - RT ceramic - GT non-ceramic
Food Grate - RT Stainless - GT expanded mild steel
Warranty - RT 6 year (everything) - GT 1 year (Hopper assembly only from smoke daddy)
Hopper RT 40 lb w/out dump - GT 35 lb w/dump
Meet Probes RT 2 meat probes - GT 1 meat probe
Body RT stainless body/anodized lid (14G body, 11G lid) - GT 1/4" mild steel body, painted or anodized body??
Both "true PID" controllers
Delivery time - RT 10 days - GT 7 months

Now all this aside both will make excellent bbq! It boils down to what want...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky