Gasket Tape and RTV

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Byrney

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2018
hi all

Ive been doing a tone of reading on this site and have learnt a great deal. Some threads on topics im keen to learn are a tad old so I thought id ask before diving in and making a mistake.

My smoker leaks around the doors and around the fb so i have purchased some gasket tape.

So here it goes:
1. Do I put the gasket tape around the lids or on the cooking chamber where the lid meets it
2. Do i put the gasket tape around the fb lid or on the fb itself where the lid meets
3. Do i put RTV bead down first then apply tape
4. What RTV is the best to use these days
5. Do you use black or clear RTV
6. Do you guys silicone the inside of your cooking chamber

Im an Aussie so i might not have the stuff you guys have in the usa and other countries

Heres the gasket

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/331825807958

Cheers all have a good day

Hmm no takers?

I might’ve put this in the wrong area

Here are the best answers I can give.

For door insulation, I try to put the adhesive side on the coolest side of the metal that isn't an edge. I used lava lock gasket and it worked well to insulate my firebox and firebox/cooker mating area. It works very well so far.

As far as RTV. The only type you should use is high temperature, food grade RTV. No other.
It usually comes in either reddish orange or black colors.

You can use the RTV inside the cook chamber as long as it is the food grade type. I have had no issues using that to seal smoke leaks in my cook chamber.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky