Gasket seal problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nick.
yes my walls are 1/8 thick. The doors and the fire box is 3/16. I can hold heat very well and it is soooooo consistent. I am a guy who only uses wood, I don't use charcoal to try and keep my heat consistent. Wood does the same thing just takes a little more practice but personally I think that 100% wood makes the food taste better. I will add some more photos of the final product. We just painted it and lathed some cool handles out of Wenge wood(Afircan wood). Rf flow is the way to go. It gives the cooking chamber a very even heat all the way through. No super hot spots and cold spots. I love it and would do it again every time.

That's awesome. I wish I had a lathe to do stuff like that. Is that wood colored like that naturally? Thanks for the input. I feel a lot better now that I know I'm not wasting my time with my cook chamber. I'm also encouraged to see you used that tank because I have that exact style tank on standby for my next smoker build. If you get a chance take a look at my build on my thread I started. There's a lot of pics. Any input would be great. It's called "my first smoker build". ThAnks again.

The dark color is the Wenge wood and the lighter color is Ash wood. I glued 1/4 thick by 2 inch wide by 24 inches long and went ash, wenge, ash wenge so it was like 3x3 and let it sit for awhile. Then turned it on the lathe and the more you play with it the more the stripes expand and look pretty. yes the Wenge wood is its natural color.

I do not leak smoke at all in doors or anything with 1/8 inch steel. Now, you have to be careful when welding it because you could blow through if you stay in one spot too long. You want nice long beads. My Baffle plate is also 3/16 thick. I made it with a 1/4 slope so the grease can go out the grease trap. I also have a smaller plug underneath the grease ball valve which is underneath the baffle plate so the water can escape when I steam clean the smoker.

I looked at your thread. Looks good. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Do you have a plasma cutter, if not I would get one. Pretty hard to do straight perfect cuts with out one. I have learned a lot when making this so ask away if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Ryan

Yeah, I have a plasma. I do welding on the side so I have a lot of tools and equipment. I'm usually pretty slow in the winter so this is something to keep me busy. I like how you did your door flange on the cc. Something for me to keep in mind when I do my next one.

Good looking smoker, love the wood handles.  Post some pictures of what you are smoking

Gary

Hey Ryan. That final pic is the best. They look so good on that cutting board, I bet most of those ribs never made it to the dinner plate!

They were pretty good for it being negative 6 with the windchill. Lol.

MAN, that is great looking rig you got there!  As stated before, the handles are awesome......you got skills, Dude.  The sight of it may have just planted a wild hair up my ass to build a stick burner now!  GREAT!  My wife is NOT going to be happy. LOL.  Also, that is a fine looking knife in that last photo of the ribs on the cutting board......love it!

Ryan that is a great job all the way around on that smoker.   The wood work is sweet.  I can’t wait to see your smoker at the next Michigan get together putting out some great Q.   

Stan

Thanks Stan. Took about 7 weeks to complete with a lot of man hours. I can't wait till it warms up and we can start feeding lots of people. Have any pics of your smoker?

What's your specialty?

Do you compete?

Ok ok. Well you come eat and teach me how to smoke cheese. Lol. That sounds great. I've never done that before. Don't even know where to begin.

Stan's the cheese man for sure! I always did the usual stuff like cheddar or gouda, but after having his jarlsburg and Tillamook at the MI gathering last summer, I do it all the time now. Love to keep a rolling stock of the stuff!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky