Garden planting and Jerky, working in unison

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baby kong

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 13, 2021
I only have 6 days till I'm back working 24/7, till around November.. I am tackling,.. a 2 day veggie planting and transplanting thing in my backyard and just took out a 8.25 lb eye of the round from the freezer. Cost you see is Canadian bucks. I quickly saw I will lose 1 lb of fat trimming, but all good. This chunk is all jerky material lol.. No, I don't fully thaw to work with it for the slicing tomorrow... End plan, a two day marinade for the jerky and then smoke it in local applewood , outside, while I do a lot more yard work. I'll keep you in the loop through my process with pics. I do not use stuff in a jar everrrr. I have 2 drawers and 2 cupboards full of either whole or crushed spices and a lot of herbs... I'm such a Newbie! hahaha

Attachments

• tempImageiaks4T.png
    tempImageiaks4T.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
Do you slice with or against the grain for making jerky?

Lucky you.
Forecast in the 30's for the next couple nights so no transplants in the garden until at earliest Monday.

Do you slice with or against the grain for making jerky?

Lucky you.
Forecast in the 30's for the next couple nights so no transplants in the garden until at earliest Monday.
Diagonal.....I am going to try it different. Not against the grain nor with the grain. I'll be slicing it diagonally to see the final texture. That's me..gotta try it once lol

Reactions: Fueling Around
Diagonal.....I am going to try it different. Not against the grain nor with the grain. I'll be slicing it diagonally to see the final texture. That's me..gotta try it once lol
I like a long bias cut

yucky weather for the end of May, huh
I plan for it.
Used to be able to put out tender stuff in mid May, but with all this global warming our average last frost date has moved out another week.

Putting together, my manual slicer/ tenderizer... One leg in , yup... and a bunch of little stuff in my bowl to put the rest together.. like a lego set lol.. The only plastic part I see, is the feeder. Metal parts are all coated . The base is a coated acrylic. And now, the “Assembly Technician” (Me) haha, is going to finish my little project.. ttyl

Attachments

• IMG_2100.jpg
    IMG_2100.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 10
Putting together, my manual slicer/ tenderizer... One leg in , yup... and a bunch of little stuff in my bowl to put the rest together.. like a lego set lol.. The only plastic part I see, is the feeder. Metal parts are all coated . The base is a coated acrylic. And now, the “Assembly Technician” (Me) haha, is going to finish my little project.. ttyl
T
IMG_2102.jpg
ook an hour or so.. Measured 17" high finished, weighs 15. lbs on my digital scale.. and one double blade for jerky slicing etc. weighs 2 lbs. ..I can't slice the chunk of beef I have today, so I put it in the freezer till tomorrow..That's when I'll get to see this guy is weight balanced, turn the handle and see those blades work with no force and no swearing..And it reminded , while building it of the Transformers" movie... lol

That is a beast.
I like the Danger warning to not stick your hand in the chute.
Years ago, a friend of mine used her fingers to push the last of the cabbage into the food processor to shred for coleslaw. Yep ruined the batch by adding the tip of her middle finger to the mix.

That is a beast.
I like the Danger warning to not stick your hand in the chute.
Years ago, a friend of mine used her fingers to push the last of the cabbage into the food processor to shred for coleslaw. Yep ruined the batch by adding the tip of her middle finger to the mix.
ooooh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky