Game day Italian Sausage burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Didn’t have much time before the game last night to cook but wanted to throw something together. Local Savealot had some nice bulk Italian sausage for $2.99 a lbs and the idea was crafted from there. Italian sausage burger stuffed with pepperoni and provolone on cheesy garlic bread. Topped with more pepperoni , a pesto pomodoro sauce and a side of roasted sweet peppers. Nothing to difficult here but damn delicious. Pressed out 1/4 lbs patties of bulk Italian sausage. Topped 8 with plenty of pepperoni and sliced provolone. Covered with another patty and crimped, topped with more pepperoni. Windy as heck out so just baked 22 minutes @ 400F. Made a nice butter mix of softened butter , garlic powder and parsley and coated both sides of Aunt Millie’s Keto white bread. Baked at 350F and towards end added some shredded mozzarella and more parsley. Also toasted some mini sweet peppers. Man we love those things. Here it is all brought together into one fine pregame bite. Added some pesto pomodoro and a sprinkling of red pepper flakes to finish it off
E8DF59D7-2CA6-453C-899F-CC303D315E62.jpeg

Sounded delicious before I even saw the pics...but looks even better than that!

Ryan

Reactions: jcam222
Nice!!! I just made about 5lbs Italian sausage because my lady requested keto olive garden style zuppa soup.

I'm going to pick up some of that Aunt Millie's bread and make myself a big messy sandwich tomorrow inspired by this. Hopefully it kicks this stupid pizza craving I've had the last few days.

Man that looks so good. I better go pull a baggie out of the freezer lol. I froze all of it but 1.5 lbs and my sandwich is gonna take at least 8oz ;)

Nice!!! I just made about 5lbs Italian sausage because my lady requested keto olive garden style zuppa soup.

I'm going to pick up some of that Aunt Millie's bread and make myself a big messy sandwich tomorrow inspired by this. Hopefully it kicks this stupid pizza craving I've had the last few days.

Man that looks so good. I better go pull a baggie out of the freezer lol. I froze all of it but 1.5 lbs and my sandwich is gonna take at least 8oz ;)
I’ve posted keto zuppa on here a couple times I think. Have you done pizza on Fathead dough? Takes some practice e to get the thickness right so it’s crisp but it’s the bomb.

I haven't baked anything keto including pizza. Your soup is awesome looking though. My baking leaves a LOT to be desired since I broke my stand mixer and I'm too cheap to buy another one.

I put diced cauliflower in my zuppa and even though I hate kale with a passion I put it in for her as well as spinach. No tomato in mine but everything else is about the same as yours, except I also add bacon. This is where jowl bacon really shines, but I've got a couple lbs ends from what I made from buckboard and the 2 bellies I sliced today that I'll use tomorrow. I'll try and remember to document it as I go in case you want to try it with the bacon.

Do you have a grinder? I saw you used a commercial sausage (good price) but you can beat that price with a butt and I promise you it will be better! I've got maybe 11$ in the sausage I ground tonight. Probably less and I was wrong on the weight, it was right at 6 lbs after I boned out the butt. It costs less than breakfast sausage (because sage is f'n expensive) and italian takes really small amounts of the pricier stuff (fennel and anise). Since I've started weighing seasonings for sausage it's become a game changer.

My grinder is the one tool I couldn't live without.

Last edited:
MMMMMM....... I just finished mine. I didn't do any peppers and went with a jar of pizza sauce, only about a tablespoon. The Aunt Millie's bread is good. For 6 bucks a loaf I was hoping it would be!

I went with white american, provolone, and a high fat mozzarella. Slices of deli pepperoni. My next one will have double pepperoni. I just grilled mine rather than heating up the oven. Now this is diet food!

1664045795093.png

1664045852958.png

1664045898518.png

1664046014953.png

Looks great Jeff!!! Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky