Galvanized steel in a smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

30" Jim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 9, 2017
Would it be safe to use galvanized steel in a smoker? I have the 5 x 8 amnps and need to make a cover to keep drippings from putting it out. You thoughts?

My buddy uses the Weber foil drip pans.He made a stand for them,sits over the amnps like a mini gazebo.Wish I had a pic to post.

If it's going to get very warm where it sits then no. Galvanized steel should not be heated/used in a smoker due to zinc toxicity.

Unless your smoker and AMNPS gets over 800°F, and you plan to breathe the Exhaust Smoke, or cook directly on the Zinc plated metal...You will be fine...JJ

Why chance it too many easy safe materials to use,how hot is the heat from the AMNTS ? Use a foil pie pan or you can buy a sheet metal 1 any where

This just occurred to me...
Prior to the 80's, every home built, with Forced Hot Air Furnaces, had Galvanized Steel Duct Work heating their home. Do we need to worry about that...JJ

Thanks for the input. I was looking for something a little more permanent than foil. Galvanized is cheaper and easier to find than aluminum but better safe than sorry so I will skip he galvanized steel.

Would it be safe to use galvanized steel in a smoker? I have the 5 x 8 amnps and need to make a cover to keep drippings from putting it out. You thoughts?

Below shows my protection for the AMNPS:
I just cut a 9" X 11" Foil pan in half & put half of it upside down above the AMNPS.
Save the other half for when the first one gets too Bad.
Keep it at least a few inches above to avoid blocking any air flow to & from the AMNPS:
DSC03985.jpg

Thanks for the input. I was looking for something a little more permanent than foil. Galvanized is cheaper and easier to find than aluminum but better safe than sorry so I will skip he galvanized steel.
Throw it in a fire to burn off the zinc.

I use aluminum flashing. Easy to cut with knife or heavy scissors and isn't too expensive.
Made a couple of tubs to put in wood tray on my electric smoker. Works great.

Aluminum flashing was my original plan but I was having trouble finding some that wasn't painted. That's why I looked to the galvanized material. Problem has been solved since I found unpainted aluminum flashing at Homer Depot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky