Fry test with cure #2#2 u

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin phil

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Just curious, is there any problem with doing a fry test on pancetta before drying with cure #2 (in the proper proportions)? I don't have a hangup with nitrites or nitrates, just kinda wondering about any safety issues.

On a side note, would it hurt to consume normal quantities of meat with proper amount of cure #2 in it, fresh, before it has had any real time to react and convert?

OK, here's the scenario: Your on a desert island with live hoggies running around and all the cure #2 you could ever want. Now, can I eat my freshly cured pork without problems? Again, assuming proper proportions are used. (There just happens to be scales on this desert island too. Pretty cool island actually.)

Cure #2 ( nitrate ) us intended for long term curing.... Months to years and it is not intended for meats that are to be cooked.....

I recently read where nitrate has been linked to hardening of the arteries and heart problems.... also, diabetes.....

The amount you are speaking of is negligible... I don't know if it is cumulative or expelled after a period of time..... either way, it is a poison... keep good notes in the event the coroner wants to know what the cause of death was... If he calls it suicide, your insurance is not payable...

Dave

Cure #2 ( nitrate ) us intended for long term curing.... Months to years and it is not intended for meats that are to be cooked.....

I recently read where nitrate has been linked to hardening of the arteries and heart problems.... also, diabetes.....

The amount you are speaking of is negligible... I don't know if it is cumulative or expelled after a period of time..... either way, it is a poison... keep good notes in the event the coroner wants to know what the cause of death was... If he calls it suicide, your insurance is not payable...

Dave

Really? OK, so no taste test for.... How long? A month? A week, a year? When? Where can I find more info? Researching on Google now.

Google nitrate and heart effects etc... The nitrate converts to nitrite through some transformation from bacteria found in meats.. over time, I'm fairly sure, the nitrate and nitrites are gone.... Chefs do cook up meats like proscuito periodically........
If you are thinking of curing stuff like bacon with cure #2, the USDA/FDA outlawed nitrates in ready to eat meats some time ago... Cure #1 with it's nitrite is all that is used now....

Like previously stated, the amount is minimal and probably not a problem... but, you could be the outlier...

I am making pancetta. I am drying it long term. Therefore am using cure #2 in the correct ratio. Can I safely fry some for seasoning/salt check before it's dried?

Yep.... It won't have the concentrated to die for flavor that explodes in your mouth... The salt won't be as strong as later....

Usually fry tests don't come close to a good finished products taste... It will surely get you excited about the finished product.... The product will probably lose some 30% moisture during the process and the salt flavor will go up respectively.... The salt is important to the finished product .....

Haven't you read about all those deaths from eating nitrate cured pepperoni pizza? They are still investigating: was it accident or mass suicide?

Jamie Oliver should be charged for recommending pancetta in cooking. People will die.

Sarcasm off.
You will be fine. I avoid frying nitrate cured meats but a test slice won't be the worst thing you ate this month.

Having said that I am not sure how a fry test will help? Usually is done to check the saltiness. If too much salt one would soak the product. In this case you are dry curing, so soaking is not an option as it will lead to a drop in curing salt levels.

The nitrate-nitrite conversion in home cured products is hit and miss. The process is dependent on so many variables that one cannot guarantee a certain ppm level for finished products. I read a study showing a 100ppm starting nitrate level and as much as >80ppm nitrate in the finished product (smoked pork).

Eating it fresh? Don't know. I like raw meat (sushi, carpaccio) but I don't think fresh belly would have a pleasant taste/texture.

As for your insurance: I am pretty sure it covers suicide if you signed on the dotted line more than 2 years ago.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky