Frozen Potatoes in sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lucky2022

Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
Hi, I want to make potato sausage in a couple weeks and have a 10 lb bag of potatoes. With them being more expensive now, and they need to be used soon, I thought maybe I could dice some up and give them a partial fry and freeze, then grinding them when I'm ready to make the sausage. For some reason I thought I'd have more control on how much they are cooked if I fry them briefly vs boiling. Think that would work out okay? Thanks

Hi, I want to make potato sausage in a couple weeks and have a 10 lb bag of potatoes. With them being more expensive now, and they need to be used soon, I thought maybe I could dice some up and give them a partial fry and freeze, then grinding them when I'm ready to make the sausage. For some reason I thought I'd have more control on how much they are cooked if I fry them briefly vs boiling. Think that would work out okay? Thanks
Sure, should work fine. Watch this potato sausage vid. Eric roasted them, but pan fry would work...don't use much oil!

Last edited by a moderator:
I always used diced potatoes in a can. Just add them to the mix and they come out great.

Reactions: lucky2022
I have done potato sausage twice , first time ok second time better.
I use raw potato here is a link to my second try and in there is a link to the first time.
There are also other members post in the search

I really like the potato sausage,

David

I have done potato sausage twice , first time ok second time better.
I use raw potato here is a link to my second try and in there is a link to the first time.
There are also other members post in the search

I really like the potato sausage,

David
The recipe I'm following is my mom and dads. They use to do the potatoes raw. I'm worried my potatoes will turn dark before I get them into the casings. I'm also considering throwing in a little bit of carrot!

The recipe I'm following is my mom and dads. They use to do the potatoes raw. I'm worried my potatoes will turn dark before I get them into the casings. I'm also considering throwing in a little bit of carrot!

Thanks for the likes Lucky
mine did not seem to turn darker , and for those ones I used a hand grinder and stuffed by hand, as that is how the recipe I had , it was done.
And I was not that fast at it than either
I really like the potato sausage .
Would love to try your Mom and Dad's if you wish to share . But understand if not.
And carrots would be a nice addition

David

Thanks for the likes Lucky
mine did not seem to turn darker , and for those ones I used a hand grinder and stuffed by hand, as that is how the recipe I had , it was done.
And I was not that fast at it than either
I really like the potato sausage .
Would love to try your Mom and Dad's if you wish to share . But understand if not.
And carrots would be a nice addition

David
I want to use my dads old hand grinder to stuff as well! I will look for the recipe and give it to you as soon as I have a few minutes.....He also added venison to some. My moms recipe is just with potatoes and pork.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Just potatoes and pork! A little spices and boom- you got some delicious sausage!
Good luck with your project, sounds like your following in the right footsteps!

I want to use my dads old hand grinder to stuff as well! I will look for the recipe and give it to you as soon as I have a few minutes.....He also added venison to some. My moms recipe is just with potatoes and pork.

I appreciate that , thank you. No rush. When ever you get the time.
Your moms sounds good, but like you said maybe some carrots, and i had fine chopped bacon in mine

Show us when you have it done , good luck

David

My family has been making Swedish Potato Sausage for decades. I have only ever ground the potatoes and onions through the grinder before mixing with the meat. You may have to strain some of the liquid off the potato before adding to the meat. I also only use salt and black pepper for seasoning. Once stuffed, we cook the sausages then wrap and freeze. Delicious.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky