Fridge Heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nekramp

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Brentford, SD
I'm in the process of building a fridge smoker right now and just wondering for all of you that have one, how hot does the outside of the fridge get when you've been smoking for hours on end?  The reason I am asking is because i'm wondering if i need to buy high temp paint for the exterior or if i'll get buy with automotive paint that i have!  I have about 2.5 to 3 inches of insulation in my build! Thanks

I would think painting would be fine as long as you do not do any of the inside where the food is going to be. I get my old fridge up to 200 all the time and feel the outside and it is never hot, mine is about a 1945 fridge - and do not paint any of the gasket area JUST OUTSIDE ONLY is what I would say. MAYBE before painting just put a element in side, and plug it in shut door and get it hot see if you have any hot spots in fridge??? what color if you go black you can get the wood stove high temp paint at Ace or where ever       good luck.

icon_cool.gif

I would think that the outside of the frig shouldn't get hot at all. After all isn't insulated well enough? I would think that it would be. So in that case regular paint should work but then how much more is high temp paint ?

I painted mine with some cheap tractor paint from the local farm store. Not high temp paint. taped off all the edges around the door so it wouldn't get paint inside. Been using it for almost a year and have no problems with the paint. Had it up to over 350 when I burned it out and no paint damage.

Enjoy!
Session data

I build one back in the 80`s and painted the outside with John Deere green from the John Deere dealer..Never had any problems with it at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky