Fresh sausage and fillers/phosphates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ks_wayward_son

Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
I've read about how effective it can be to use NFDM and/or tripolyphosphates (phosphates for short) for curing and smoking sausages. Who uses the fillers and/or phosphates for fresh sausage additionally? Is it unnecessary to add these if it won't be a low and slow cook? I understand these two items aren't really deemed needed to some if enough time is used for the mixing process, but as a pretty new sausage maker I'm looking to use various "tactics" plus its half the fun to experiment. Thanks for the insights.

I use both, but not necessarily together. It all depends on the ingredients of the mix. Both powder milk and phosphate are very useful in sausage making.

Reactions: 73saint
I never use either of them in fresh sausage, but in smoked or cooked sausages they have there place.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky