Fresh Fennel vs Seed or ground

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thoseguys26

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Aspen Valley
My girlfriend decided to plant around 20+ fennel plants and I don't really cook with fresh fennel ever but use seed in my sausage. She just likes to eat it here and there like a rabbit.

I was wondering if anyone could share any information on fresh.  Does it work well or better in sausage making? How much chopped fresh fennel would you substitute for a Tbl of seed or ground?

Any other 'must try' recipes out there that utilize fresh fennel?

Thanks!!

The fresh Fennel is a much milder and sweeter flavor than the seed. It is amazing halved or quartered, brushed with Roasted Garlic Oil, S & P and Grilled until tender. And below is my favorite Veg recipe using Fennel. It is good with any meat but goes especially well with Broiled Fish that has been topped with a Herb Compound Butter...JJ

Braised Leeks, Fennel, Carrots and Celery

1 stick of Butter

3 1inch thick Leeks, White and light Green part

1 Fennel Bulb, tops removed

4-5 ea Carrots

3-4 ribs Celery

1/3C White Wine

1/4C Basil Leaves

S & P

Cut all the vegetables into 3 inch by 1/4 inch Sticks.

Saute in the Butter just until they start to get Golden.

Season with S & P and add the Basil, stir to combine.

Deglaze with the Wine and cover the Pan.

Reduce the heat to low and Braise until the vegetables are tender.

Adjust seasoning and serve.

Serves 4-6

Roasted Garlic Oil

Peeled Garlic Cloves,from 6 or more Heads

1Cup Olive Oil

1Cup Veg Oil

1tsp Salt

1tsp Blk Pepper

Combine all in a oven safe pan and Bake at 400*F for 20-30 or until the Garlic is golden brown and very tender. Allow to cool to room temp. Place in a jar and Refrigerate. Use Oil and or Cloves in sauteed dishes, on Pizza, in Mashed Potatoes, on Burgers and Steaks, anything you want to add a mild sweet Garlic flavor.

My personal favorite is to mash the hot Garlic with Grated Parm Reggiano, Red Pepper Flakes, S & P and enough Oil to make a paste. Spread a generous amount on lightly toasted slices of French or Italian Bread and top with a slice of Prosciutto de Parma and a strip of Roasted Red Pepper, the Grilled Fennel would work too. The flavors are amazingly delicious!...CAUTION...Eat these with the ones you love and on a Friday or Saturday. You will have serious Garlic Breath and your person will smell like Garlic for a day or two...

Herb Compound Butter

1 Lb Butter, room temp

1T Parsley

1T Thyme

1T Basil

1T Chives

1T Dill

1T Fennel Fronds (optional)

1T Minced Fresh or Roasted Garlic

1T Lemon Juice

1tsp Black Pepper

Mince the Fresh Herbs and combine with the Butter until well blended. Add salt if using Unsalted Butter.

Divide the mixture in fourths and place on sheets of Plastic Wrap. Roll and twist the Wrap to form 1-1/2 to 2" Logs and Refrigerate or Freeze until needed. Slice the Cold Butter into 1/4" slices and top Hot Seafood, Steaks or Vegetables to add flavor.

For a special treat...Place whole or half slices of Compound Butter on Oysters on the Half Shell and Grill or Broil just until the edges of the Oysters begin to curl and are hot...Mind Blowing Good!

Last edited:
YAH! You the man JJ.  I love any recipe that starts with 1 Lb of butter :)

I will try the butter out with some fish. Sounds pretty tasty. I'm more excited now to explore fresh fennel. Thanks!

WOW! You'd think JJ was a real chef or something.
ROTF.gif

That looks awesome. I never tried anything with fresh fennel. I may have to now.

WOW! You'd think JJ was a real chef or something.
ROTF.gif

That looks awesome. I never tried anything with fresh fennel. I may have to now.
 I toss some stuff in a Pan now and then...JJ

There are 2 main types of fennel: Florence fennel, which is the type that is mainly used as a veggie because it has the large bulb; and non-bulbous fennel, which is mainly used for the leaves (fronds) and the seed. JJ gave some great recipes for using the Florence variety, as well as one using the fronds...but I think the real treat is the seeds!
Do you have to do anything to the seeds before using them?
What I do is lightly toast them, which brings out the natural oils in the seed and gives it a slight "nutty" taste. Just heat up a saute pan (or cast iron) over high heat, add seeds, agitate the pan to keep the seeds moving to avoid burning, once the seeds become fragrant and slightly darker remove from pan and spread out on a plate or pan to cool. 

You can grind them and add them to many things, especially Mediterranean foods, or leave them whole (as you find in Italian sausage)...they give a great, mellow anise flavor to anything. I have about 180 plants of the non-bulbous type to sell the fronds to a couple of restaurants in my area...but I always look forward to the fall when I let them go to seed to harvest those bad boys!

Nice info Beard, I'm letting these go to seed also. I thin they'll be a great addition to some fresh sausage!

That veggie recipe Jimmy gave you is awesome under a chuck roast too. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky