Fresh Center Cut Pork Loin, Apple Chutney, Broccoli Rabe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kmdennis

Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
New Hope, PA
Found a fresh, unprocessed, never frozen center cut pork loin at the market a few days ago. Hadn't planned on smoking it...but hey, what the heck. I didn't pre-plan so there was no time for a brine. I was worried the pork would be dry, turned out delicious even through i "over cooked" it. My wife isn't a fan of slightly pink pork, so I had to run it a little over where it should ideally be pulled.

Recipe was found here: http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-smoked-pork-loin-462729

Made 3 minor changes to the recipe: 1) I didn't remove the fat on the top of the loin. It was thin and I thought it would help keep it moist. Most of it melted away during the cook. 2) I filled the water pan with apple juice. 3) I pulled at 160 to make the wife happy.

Individually the chutney and pork were delicious. The similar flavors in the rub and the chutney made it an ideal combination. The broccoli rabe went well, but to be honest the only reason i bought it was to be used for sandwiches later in the week...which were awesome as well.

Here are a few pictures of the results. I made a last decision to smoke this, so I didn't think to take pictures of the process. 

Juices are just running from the board, even after a 20 minute rest!

I was shocked how juicy this thing was. 

Dinner is served.

Leftovers. Used it all and added a slice of provolone. Provolone wasn't necessary, but it mellowed the bitterness of the rabe.

Thanks for looking.

Happy Smoking!

Thanks. REALLY happy i called an audible a decided to smoke this thing. Really turned out well; unlike many last minute decisions in life. :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky