Freezing Venison Bone in

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveman92789

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
For the last several years i have processed my own meat. This year i started playing around with some cuts that look more cool then anything. One of the cuts leaving the back strap(loin) on attached to the ribs and making it look simular to a lamb chop. I have seen some concerns on the internet regarding bone sour but know much about it and have never froze deer meat with bone in.

I was wondering if there is anything i need to worry about or steps i can take to prevent it from happening.

Same with the neck. I normally trim the meat off the neck. It would be nice if i could start leaving that bone in and freezing without worrying about anything.

thanks,

I don't think you have any problems with bone sour when freezing.   I could be wrong thou.

We butchered a lot of venison over the years but never froze anything with the bone in, don't know why.

I vacuum seal & freeze & never had a problem either. Kept meat over a year. I do wrap the exposed bone with a ball of plastic wrap or brown paper to keep it from puncturing the vacuum bag. 

Never done anything bone in either, reason being I want to make sure I remove ALL the fat/tallow from the meat. That stuff is nasty, sticks to the inside of your mouth and all over your teeth. Phoey!

Just my .02

Mike

Maybe freeze it solid BEFORE you wrap it so it will freeze faster...  Don't double stack..  put a computer fan in the freezer to have some air circulation...  that will speed up the freezing process...

I can't weigh in definitively on this, but I have frozen whole hind quarters and parted them out later. I try not to do that, but it worked fine the time I did. I agree with the sentiment of getting all the fat/tallow off first as it can go rancid when frozen over a longer period of time. To that end, I'd perhaps re-think freezing the neck whole as I would guess the windpipe would be prone to breaking down? Since the neck roast comes off pretty quickly and easily, I would maybe skip that one. Just my two cents.

I can't weigh in definitively on this, but I have frozen whole hind quarters and parted them out later. I try not to do that, but it worked fine the time I did. I agree with the sentiment of getting all the fat/tallow off first as it can go rancid when frozen over a longer period of time. To that end, I'd perhaps re-think freezing the neck whole as I would guess the windpipe would be prone to breaking down? Since the neck roast comes off pretty quickly and easily, I would maybe skip that one. Just my two cents.
I remove the wind pipe before i hang the meat for aging. I believe i can get two or three 1lb roasts out of the neck so maybe just to experiment I'll freeze one of them with the bone in. All of my meat gets vaccum sealed as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky