Freezing Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MelonSC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Omaha, Nebr
I'm betting I already know the answer, but just in case. I discovered the grocery store has choice brisket at $2.99/lb and my neighbors asked me if I could smoke one up for their sons birthday in a few weeks. I assume I can freeze it like any other beef and it'll be fine? Brisket is finicky enough, my luck freezing it would make more so :) but $2.99/LB is hard to pass up.

Couple weeks? Don’t even know if I’d bother. But the answer is yes.

For my second smoke, I did a 5.5lb brisket that came from a side of beef bought 2.5 years ago. It was destined for the Insta-pot before we got the smoker. Turned out ok. a bit dry, but I feel that is on me as a newbie.

Had a USDA Prime brisket in the freezer for almost a year. Thawed it & smoked it & it was just a s good as if I had smoked it fresh. I know some of the guys will say that it is not as good after it is frozen cause the cells break open & let the moisture out. But I had no complaints.
Al

Reactions: TNJAKE
I buy the butchers special beef whenever it's available. That's the stuff that is already discoloring from the enzymes in the meat that help break down the fibers and tenderize the meat. With briskets if I have capacity, I like to buy them weeks ahead of a cook and keep them in a spare fridge as long as possible. (Depending on how important a cook it is) I will get a walk-in fridge one day and turn it into a brisket valut. That's just my bbq life

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky