Freeze/thaw Rib Roast questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
So with some health issues amid 2020 getting its last licks in, our plans have been scrapped for the most part, and I have a 4-bone rib roast in fridge (which was supposed to be my first prime rib attempt) and a 4+ lb strip roast.
Thinking I will slice the strip into steaks and vacseal/freeze ... that’s pretty simple.

But the rib roast ...
I had the butcher cut off bones and tie back on, so those are separable.
I’d planned to truss/smoke the boneless part, and use the bones separately to make the au jus.

Assume the bones can/should be frozen separately as-is.

Given the 3 days or so it will take to thaw, and then the brining time, vs time it can be in just the fridge ...
Would you truss and freeze the boneless portion ‘untreated’? (then do the brining/rub after thawed)
Or should it be brined and/or rubbed prior to freezing? (So ready for smoker after thawing)

Reactions: JLeonard
I have never done one that was tied back together, I did buy 1 last week that was tied back together it is thawing for X-Mas dinner.
Getting cooked as is.

When ever I freeze meat, I almost always salt and rub before freezing. I think it helps get into the meat quicker. Especially when its thawing for a couple of days. If the wrapping has a lot of juice in it once its thawed, I will apply additional rub to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky