Frankfurter / Weiner Wurstel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I started out to grind up a beef packer brisket for ground beef . I had a vac pack bag of pork butt chunks in the freezer , so since the grinder was gonna get dirty I got those out too . Figured I would do another couple pounds of the Pickle loaf I just did .
Turns out the chunks were really fatty , So making something all pork was out . So I had the brisket grind and and the fatty pork butt .
I looked at some Marianski stuff and did a combination of spices I like , mixed the pork and beef and used 26mm sheep casings .
One time through the 1/8" plate wasn't enough to break down the beef , so I ran the mixture in the food processor to break it down some more . Spices were
Black pepper
white pepper
onion powder
nutmeg
paprika
ginger
garlic
Correct amounts of salt , cure 1 , and Sodium Erythorbate .
This was 2 1/2 lbs. of grind , and I'd say about 40% pork fat .
I always add the water and NFDM as I mix . Only adding what it needs to come together . I never follow amounts listed in a recipe for liquid or binder . Came together without adding any NFDM , but after adding more liquid to emulsify I ended up adding 1 1/2 TBL at the end .
These were way more fat than I normally use . The end result was a Sunday afternoon at the Baden Fest in October . Not a whole lot to look at , but they were spot on for the sausages I've had at Octoberfest street parties and Grandma's house when I was a kid .
These are intended to be poached . To delicate to survive a grill without splitting .
I keep my sheep casings stored wet , same as the hog casings . Following the thread put out by Boykjo .
Stuffed ,
View attachment 653646
Linked ,
View attachment 653647
Right into the smoker set to 120 for 90 minutes , then steps to 140 .
Smoke for color with beech pellets .
View attachment 653648
Poached on the stove at 164 degrees .

View attachment 653649
Checked temp at the 25 minute mark . IT was 154 . Perfect .
Roughly 2 hours in the smoker , 30 minutes on the stove .
Done .
The streaks are from condensation after opening the door and letting 30 degree
air in . No biggie . They will go away after blooming .
I didn't water bath . Normally I do .
Blooming on the counter .
View attachment 653650
Cooled down cut shot .
View attachment 653651
After a night in the fridge I had some for a late breakfast / early lunch the next day .
Had to try both ways , and show one that was heated up in simmering water .
Plumps right up .
View attachment 653653
Heated up cut shot .
View attachment 653655
These were really spot on . I don't usually like the texture of beef in sausages , but the high amount of pork fat
countered the grainy texture you can get with beef .
The taste , texture and snap of the casing were surprisingly perfect .
Thanks for looking .
Looks fantastic man, glad it all came together for you! :D

Reactions: chopsaw
Perfect! I see a perfect texture of Frankfurters/Weiners you made! I tried to achieve the same texture with double grinding meats through 3mm plate while making hot dogs, bologna, etc. but I never was satisfied with the result.... I use Champion juicer now and happy with the product. Grate job, Chop!

A really fine hunk of work there Rich, fresh smoked dog with mustard and kraut, gotta love it! RAY

Looks fantastic man, glad it all came together for you!
Just a minor change of plan , but when you have everything you need it's not a big deal .
Good thing I was grinding the beef though .
Thanks for the comment .

Perfect! I see a perfect texture of Frankfurters/Weiners you made!
Thanks . I thought about a juicer . If I do all pork one time through the 1/8" plate works pretty good . This was certainly better .
A really fine hunk of work there Rich, fresh smoked dog with mustard and kraut, gotta love it!
Thanks Ray . One of those things you keep craving .

Absolutely stellar! That's Holy Grail/bucket list level stuff there for me Rich! These are likely the sausage that I will finally cave and use real casings on. Amazed this was just an audible for you. I would spend a week to prep for that LOL

Thanks Sherry . You should just about have the Chief set up to do some yourself .
Appreciate the comment .

For sure!

I've got some hog casings soaking (ala Boykjo), my sheep casings came in yesterday from Syracuse, I'll get my hanging rods installed in BC and put my insulation back on today.

Looks great Rich
And thanks for the steps, easy to follow

I just got the call yesterday that my grinder is in from Bass Pro/Cabela's
will pick up tomorrow, Cabela's Pro series was on for half price. Not bad for my first grinder ( not counting hand grinder ,lol )

David

Absolute perfection!! Beautiful; texture and even distribution throughout the sausage. That is about as good as it's ever gonna get...and that plated shot is exactly how I like to set mine up. Very nice!!

Robert

Absolutely stellar!
Thanks Sam . I have to say these are about as close to what I would consider authentic that I've made .
Amazed this was just an audible for you. I would spend a week to prep for that LOL
I have everything I need at arms length . Equipment and spice wise . Thanks for the comments .
I have the original plan of the chopped ham loaf in the smoker now .

Looks great Rich
And thanks for the steps, easy to follow
Thanks David .
Cabela's Pro series was on for half price. Not bad for my first grinder ( not counting hand grinder ,lol )
I have the No. 12 . 500 watt motor . It's a fantastic grinder . I've put a bunch of meat thru mine . Look like this one ?
1673202118480.jpeg

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky