Frankfurter / Weiner Wurstel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I started out to grind up a beef packer brisket for ground beef . I had a vac pack bag of pork butt chunks in the freezer , so since the grinder was gonna get dirty I got those out too . Figured I would do another couple pounds of the Pickle loaf I just did .
Turns out the chunks were really fatty , So making something all pork was out . So I had the brisket grind and and the fatty pork butt .
I looked at some Marianski stuff and did a combination of spices I like , mixed the pork and beef and used 26mm sheep casings .
One time through the 1/8" plate wasn't enough to break down the beef , so I ran the mixture in the food processor to break it down some more . Spices were
Black pepper
white pepper
onion powder
nutmeg
paprika
ginger
garlic
Correct amounts of salt , cure 1 , and Sodium Erythorbate .
This was 2 1/2 lbs. of grind , and I'd say about 40% pork fat .
I always add the water and NFDM as I mix . Only adding what it needs to come together . I never follow amounts listed in a recipe for liquid or binder . Came together without adding any NFDM , but after adding more liquid to emulsify I ended up adding 1 1/2 TBL at the end .
These were way more fat than I normally use . The end result was a Sunday afternoon at the Baden Fest in October . Not a whole lot to look at , but they were spot on for the sausages I've had at Octoberfest street parties and Grandma's house when I was a kid .
These are intended to be poached . To delicate to survive a grill without splitting .
I keep my sheep casings stored wet , same as the hog casings . Following the thread put out by Boykjo .
Stuffed ,
20230105_104030.jpg
Linked ,
20230105_105334.jpg
Right into the smoker set to 120 for 90 minutes , then steps to 140 .
Smoke for color with beech pellets .
20230105_125223.jpg
Poached on the stove at 164 degrees .

20230105_132658.jpg
Checked temp at the 25 minute mark . IT was 154 . Perfect .
Roughly 2 hours in the smoker , 30 minutes on the stove .
Done .
The streaks are from condensation after opening the door and letting 30 degree
air in . No biggie . They will go away after blooming .
I didn't water bath . Normally I do .
Blooming on the counter .
20230105_133953.jpg
Cooled down cut shot .
20230105_144234.jpg
After a night in the fridge I had some for a late breakfast / early lunch the next day .
Had to try both ways , and show one that was heated up in simmering water .
Plumps right up .
20230106_104646.jpg
Heated up cut shot .
20230106_104924.jpg
These were really spot on . I don't usually like the texture of beef in sausages , but the high amount of pork fat
countered the grainy texture you can get with beef .
The taste , texture and snap of the casing were surprisingly perfect .
Thanks for looking .

Look great,
Thanks Charles . I had my concerns . Thought I over did it with the food processor .
They really came out great .
That's MONEY right there!! Exactly how I like my hotdog...
Yup . I used the Stadium mustard on the bun , but the whole grain for the other .
Kraut and mustard with that snap of the casing . So good .

Thanks Norm ! Heck you're set up now that you have the Auber .
Now that I have had some "extra" time on my hands I've reading up on sausage and jerky and other goodies that would've been difficult or impossible to do before.

Soon as I'm able I'm going to go to a local Portuguese market where they have fresh uncooked chourico and give that a go.When I would do it before it would come at best meh simply because I couldn't maintain a stable lower temp.

Looks like they turned out really good...nice job Rich!
Thanks Ryan .
Very Nice Chop! Great play by play and I like your spice profile
Thanks Keith . The garlic and ginger were fresh . The ginger is pre pureed and frozen in garlic clove sized pieces . So maybe not fresh , but not powder . I'm addicted to the white pepper and the ginger . I'm going to do the same spice profile , but add eggs , milk and some caraway for a brat to through on the grill .
I have a lot of geese to play with so I'll be making some emulsified trail bologna soon....
Sounds good . I've been messing with potato starch . Didn't like it at full recommended amount . Lunch meat type stuff I like STPP . I use any of it in reduced amounts .
Thanks for lookin .

Stadium mustard, kraut and those is a big hell yes from me. Good stuff Rich.
Thanks bud . That's the Kraut I told you about . Cleveland Ohio , 44103 . Cleveland Kitchens .
They sell 3 different ones here , but I like that one the best .
Down to my last bottle of the Stadium . Might try the Bertman's next order .
Thanks for the comment Jeff .

chopsaw chopsaw Really a great post, I love your posts with play by play and lots of pictures. Those franks look fantastic. I've held off making them as I kept thinking I wanted something more special...but looking at that sweet plate you put together, Franks are looking plenty special now! Great job!

Reactions: chopsaw
They look fantastic, I've never made weiners before but it's on my list for this spring, that and summer sausage.

Thanks bud . That's the Kraut I told you about . Cleveland Ohio , 44103 . Cleveland Kitchens .
They sell 3 different ones here , but I like that one the best .
Down to my last bottle of the Stadium . Might try the Bertman's next order .
Thanks for the comment Jeff .
Bertmans is excellent. The Cleveland Kraut is a good product. I’m going to knock of some of their flavors on future ferments.

Really a great post, I love your posts with play by play and lots of pictures.
Thanks Dave . I don't do well with long reads . I try to keep it as simple as it can be , but still tell the story . This is a great flavor profile .
They look fantastic, I've never made weiners before but it's on my list for this spring, that and summer sausage.
Thanks bud . I just had one for lunch . Still has me shaking my head that they came out this good . Must have been the beef / pork mix or the higher fat content .
Poaching to finish give great results too . Thanks for looking .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky