For all you smashburger fans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I make these quite often. Two comments tho.
1- there needs to be more onions than what's used in the video, IMHO
2- try slicing real thin, I use a mandolin, put in a strainer with a tsp of so of kosher salt, mix good then let sit for 10-15 minutes and squeeze them really good.
I'll try a little onion to test for saltiness then adjust the amount I salt the burgers accordingly. Sometimes I will put on the grill then smash the burger on it, other times I will put them on after flipping.

Either way, these are some fantastic burgers.

Yup , those are great . Slice the onions as thin as you can , and the more the better .
Another thing I do is grate a whole onion right into the burger grind . Turns into mostly onion juice . Adds a bunch of flavor and moisture .
Post them up when you make 'em .

I make these quite often. Two comments tho.
1- there needs to be more onions than what's used in the video, IMHO
2- try slicing real thin, I use a mandolin, put in a strainer with a tsp of so of kosher salt, mix good then let sit for 10-15 minutes and squeeze them really good.
I'll try a little onion to test for saltiness then adjust the amount I salt the burgers accordingly. Sometimes I will put on the grill then smash the burger on it, other times I will put them on after flipping.

Either way, these are some fantastic burgers.
What is th reasoning behind salting the onion?

Totally doing this... Hopefully this works as it is a FB link.

Until I looked up how to cook smash burgers, I thought that they all had the onion smash on top. Who knew???? :emoji_thinking: :emoji_laughing:

That is how they do it at my favorite diner in Manitowoc, Bud Wilmans. They also have the best home made hash browns I have ever had.

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: zwiller
Until I looked up how to cook smash burgers, I thought that they all had the onion smash on top. Who knew???? :emoji_thinking: :emoji_laughing:

That is how they do it at my favorite diner in Manitowoc, Bud Wilmans. They also have the best home made hash browns I have ever had.

Not sure if I remember you being from Manitowoc. Other than the Netflix show we had a plant there.

Reactions: JC in GB
Not sure if I remember you being from Manitowoc. Other than the Netflix show we had a plant there.

I lived in Manitowoc for a few years. I was about 100 feet from Bud's so I had my share of smash burgers and hash browns. I am in Green Bay now.... What plant?

I lived in Manitowoc for a few years. I was about 100 feet from Bud's so I had my share of smash burgers and hash browns. I am in Green Bay now.... What plant?

Was an old Spartech plant then Polyone for awhile. I used to get up to Glendale WI near Green Bay a few times a year on business as well. Always hit the Mars Cheese Castle when there.

Reactions: JC in GB
I made smash burgers a few weeks ago using Jimmy Dean Sausage.. Really good...

Looks good Sam.
probably better than a White Castle onion steamed slider?

I often make ground pork burgers. I love the Heinz 57 sauce on pork.
Pork burgers ARE good! Brat burgers are a big thing here. I made some using a thuringer (garlic caraway) and honestly probably better than GB. Dying to try this: https://www.tasteatlas.com/cudighi-sandwich

Not sure if it would best the WC slider but bet it's tasty.

Maybe pulling the moisture out .
Bumps the mailliard I bet too. Funny, the tool their using to flip the burger is actually a flat top cleaning tool. I think the smash burger joints run them flat tops HOT.

Bumps the mailliard I bet too. Funny, the tool their using to flip the burger is actually a flat top cleaning tool. I think the smash burger joints run them flat tops HOT.

I'll sometimes slice the onions thin and soak in salted ice water , then drain . Use them raw on a burger like that . Takes some of the bite out of strong onions and crisps them up .
I use a 5" taping knife with my Blackstone . To flip and clean . Now I'm wanting some onion burgers .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky