Food Warmer Conversion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sledhead01

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 16, 2015
St. Albert, Alberta
Hello everyone.

I have started on a conversion project.  I have obtained a fully functioning InterMetro Food Proofer.  The inside measurements are 56 inches high, 24" wide and 29" deep It currently has two 675 watt heating elements in it.  One used to heat a water pan for controlling humidity and the other is used to heat the circulating air that is blown with a small squirrel cage fan.  The fan can be run on its own with out any of the elements heating.

The cabinet is between 23 and 24 cubic feet.  I have built 11 racks measuring 18" x 24" and primarily plan to use the smoker for smoking jerky and sausage.  

I would like to go with an Auber PID controller WSD-1501-GPH and use another heating element to keep the unit fully electric.  I spoke with a person from Auber today and they were fantastic.  I was told this controller will handle an element up to 1800 watts.  

The building where the smoker will be kept has next to no electrical load and the panel is almost still empty, so if need be I can install 20 amp breakers with appropriately sized wire so the unit and the PID are plugged into two separate outlets.  

I was thinking of using the water pan element for my chip tray as it gets red hot. 

With the size of my cabinet if I add an 1800 watt element combined with the existing 1350 watts will that be enough to heat the unit to say a max of 250 degrees F and be able to recover temps in a timely fashion?

As for the fan that is currently in the warmer, I plan to keep utilizing it to circulate the air inside to maintain even cabinet temps.  I was thinking of installing a reostat control for it so I can make it variable speed.

I also need to install a chimney.  I was thinking of a 4 inch pipe with a damper in it.

I welcome any comments or suggestions that may assist me with this project.  I am planning on having it for alot of years so do not mind investing some money into it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky