Food Safety Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deannc

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Cradle of Cue, NC
Ok, being the over concerned person that I am and still an obvious newbie...I just spent 20 1/2 hours nursing a couple 9 pound butts.  They never did reach 200* (188*).  They hit the 140* mark just over 3 hours into the smoke.  I didn't foil until I decided to go ahead and pull them.  Spritzed with a cider/vinegar mix in the gasser with pretty constant temps between 225* and 235*.  

For the probes, I'm pretty confident they were spot on because I restuck them and also stuck a couple of spares I had that were accurate before I stuck them and all were within a couple degrees.  I've done probably a dozen butts to this point and I did do two at a time a few weeks ago with no issues.

I guess my question is, could it be the meat? Is it safe for consumption?

Last edited:
Yes it is safe.

You hit a stall.  Best to stab around with a large metal fork and break up the water hysterious.  But you made i through in the right temperature for it to be safe to eat or reheat.

Last edited:
bally, thanks for the reply and apologize for the panic moment.  I'm working on that part of it all. lol  It shredded and pulled apart nicely and tasted great.  

It shredded and pulled apart nicely and tasted great.  
it better have...............that's a long time to wait it out.      
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
..........for staying with it!

NWDave - LOL, I've been trying to do a butt without foil and talk about a stall?? LOL  Every time I've foiled at 165* I get great finishing results as far as time.  

Bear - LOL I probably could have gone to 30 hours! LMAO  Had I only known I could have set a record and still had some great tasting chow.  Yeah, the last 3 I've done have climbed right through 140* in well under 4 hours...it's been get past 160*--162* and then again at 170* and 180*, well you get the picture! haha  

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky