Food Dehydrators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tpc74

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 8, 2012
Berkley, MI
Long ago, my dad brought home a food dehydrator. Or maybe it was my mom? Not sure exactly why as I have never once seen them use it, but I did. It was a round one, maybe made by "presto" or some similar company. I used it to make venison jerky, both ground meat and cut up strips.

Fast forward to pandemic year one. I asked for one for xmas. Ended up with a cabelas model, has a ton of shelves, actually a pretty nice unit. I've done jerky a couple times on this one.

Here is the reason for the post. What else do you dehydrate on them? Like what is your go to? I'd like to try some sort of healthy snack, since almost everything else isn't that healthy, but I have no idea what to try. This sounded like a great place to ask. I just want to get this thing off the shelf and into use. I have a bread maker as well, and make bread every couple of months, but this one is more like every couple of years.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have never done it but you could dehydrate fruit. I recently heard zucchini mixed with strawberry (any berry) and made into a fruit roll up it pretty tasty.

Reactions: JLeonard and tpc74
We have done apples in our old Ronko unit many times. Slice them evenly and let them soak in a mix of lemon juice and water to stop browning. lightly dust with cinnamon, not tons or it will be a spicy snack.

We have also done habaneros, ghost peppers to make flakes or powders but you better do that outside.

Apple slices, pineapple slices, and banana slices all do well. When I do bananas, I slice them in half across and then slice each half lengthwise into thin slices. Also have done orange slices. A mandolin works great for slicing apples and pineapples...

Apple slices, pineapple slices, and banana slices all do well. When I do bananas, I slice them in half across and then slice each half lengthwise into thin slices. Also have done orange slices. A mandolin works great for slicing apples and pineapples...
Do you need to blanch the fruit? I've never dehydrated fruit.

Would you mind sharing your process? I've been wanting to give this a try. I haven't gotten around to searching the web yet.
I just cut off the top/stem, maybe remove seeds but not always. Do it outside or you will be pepper spraying the whole house

Wife just got done dehydrating almost two bags of yellow onions. Ended up with the 2nd bag because I didn't see the bag she had bought, and we didn't want them to go bad. She ran them through the food processor first... and man does the garage still smell good!

Ryan

As most of you, I do it for my peppers, green onions and herbs each growing season. Have intentions of trying snacks like you have mentioned

I think I need to remind my wife of this machine when she grows her herbs next year. She usually dries them in the oven I think.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky