Foil grease tray on GMG Daniel Boone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brucec

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2012
KS
The only thing I don't really like about my GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker is cleaning off the cast iron grease tray. Maple syrup drippings in particular can become so melded onto the tray that I can't even scrape it off with a steel putty knife. I tried laying some foil on it the last time I smoked, but everything I had on the smoker seemed to take a lot longer to cook. Cleanup was a breeze, but we ate much later than I originally anticipated. The only thing that I did differently in that smoke was the foil on the grease tray, so I assumed that was the culprit. Has anyone ever foiled the grease tray with any luck, or found a better way to make cleanup of the tray easier?
What about oiling the tray, in a similar fashion that you would season a cast iron skillet?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky