Flavor Pellets & tin foil packet?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rico123

Original poster
Jan 11, 2020
I made a nice little packet w 1/3 cup of hickory, one hole (small). Placed the packet on flavor bars of my Weber Genesis.
Placed burgers near. One burner on, the one with the foil packet. ON High.

When I saw visible smoke, I turned the flame to medium. Then fired up the burners with the burgers. My packet stopped smoking way before the meat was cooked.

Should I have not used high heat, on tin foil packet , or at smoke off or low

Thanks

I don't use foil packets near high heat due to the out-gassed chems getting in my fodder.

If you're gonna do the foil pack thing I'd recommend wood chips instead. If you want to use pellets get an amazen tube. They are 20 bucks and smoke for hours.

and the tubes can be found at Walmart no need to order

I do have two amaze n tubes, same question applies, to tin foil pack or amaze n tube.

Start up gas High, Med, Low, at clear sign of smoke, gas off, med, or low.

C Chasdev - Good point!! Noted

On the topic of health!

It's much more healthful to eat 'GrassFed' Beef. Avoids antibiotic resistance. Note Consumer Reports, this month. Most likely recalled, green leafy veggies, is CAFO close by. Not to mention airborne antibiotic pathogens, from same CAFO's

Guidelines workarounds, for carcinogenic from high heat like searing.

Salt is problematic as well!

No more tin foil smokin here!

Using the amazn tube, torch the pellets, like cold smokin, then into the Weber

Thanks Good point

I use the tray personally. Tube users can tell me how they light theirs different.

I take a torch and get a good start on one (or both) end(s) of the tray, then take a heat gun (for like stripping auto decals, 15.00 harbor freight) and then blow on the lit end with the heat gun until you hear the jet engine sound of ignition :-)

Works every time.

Let me see if I can find the link of where I learned that from.

Welp, found the old thread, but the video got nuked in the forum update. Sorry Friend.

(Disclaimer) I did have to beef up my tray a little bit to withstand the repeated exposure to such high temps. The little factory tac welds are not made to withstand such treatment over time, but I literally trimmed up a little section of hose clamp to reinforce the two corners that I light with some bolts and nuts and it's been bulletproof since.

Amaze tube, (both work well), from included manual: one 'quick fire starter packet', or 20 sec. with butane torch. The key I've found is wait 10 - 15 min w/ hood open, then add food & close the hood. The small one burns 3hrs.

For burgers on the Weber, I sure do not need 3hr burn, hence the 'tin foil pack' with 1/3 c of flavor pellets worked.

For the short amaze tube, something like a removable, metal sphere, inside tube, would reduce the, amount of pellets held, to desired amt. Finding the right side insert is the challenge to reduce, burn time.

Another problem which makes tin foil/amaze tube problematic using Weber as heat source. Burner being long, all areas of foil/amaze tube, get heat at the same time, as opposed to amaze tube one end, burns to the end. That's what makes judging Weber, burner settings, tricky.

I mentioned using tin foil packet, the packet was burned out, way before burgers were cooked. I used Weber burner, 'high' till visible smoke, then 'med/low' till no more smoke.

fivetricks fivetricks Thank You

Reactions: fivetricks
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky