flat for chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
picked 4.5lb flat for chili. chili plan is mix ingredients and then in dutch oven hanging from tripod open fire pit. usual time is 3 hours or so.
flat prep seasoned then?
1 smoke al method panned with some broth until tender cube and add to chili
2 same as 1 but only say 4 hours then cube and add to chili let finish getting tender in chili(will it?)
3 cube and then method 1 or 2?

Reactions: JLeonard
#1. I made brisket chili with smoked brisket leftovers. the brisket was cooked per the normal plan, then a couple days later chopped and made into chili. 3 hours in the pot with all the goodness will make it super tender!

Reactions: JLeonard
#1. I made brisket chili witwithh smoked brisket leftovers. the brisket was cooked per the normal plan, then a couple days later chopped and made into chili. 3 hours in the pot with all the goodness will make it super tender!
right on . same here on left over brisket. also have done points just for chili, cooked to probe tender, fridge overnight then chili next day. first time doing flat only. not sure on prob tender then 2 to 3 more hours in DO.
still 1 vote for 1 and not bad idea.

well. didn't get many responses so went whole. filled pan with broth and little bit of bourbon. rubbed and in smoker. foiled top of pan about half way thru. 8 hours later probe tender at 197. not as moist as a point or whole but not dried out. chili bound tonight. gonna use the pan juices in the chili also.
20210228_182652.jpg

20210228_103228.jpg
20210228_182652.jpg

I’m sure it will be good, but next time you may want to grind the brisket, brown it in a pan & add it with all the drippings to the chili. But already cooked & cubed will work well too.
Al

I’m sure it will be good, but next time you may want to grind the brisket, brown it in a pan & add it with all the drippings to the chili. But already cooked & cubed will work well too.
Al
worked pretty good. separated the fat off of the drippings overnight. next day cube 3/4 of it and added to my onions I was sauteeing. next added the drippings, mator sauce beans and chili mix. seasoned to taste over next 2 hours. a lot of the meat shredded on its on. pretty tastey

worked pretty good. separated the fat off of the drippings overnight. next day cube 3/4 of it and added to my onions I was sauteeing. next added the drippings, mator sauce beans and chili mix. seasoned to taste over next 2 hours. a lot of the meat shredded on its on. pretty tastey

Bet it is good, you can’t beat brisket chili, any way you make it.
Al

Reactions: phathead69
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky