Flank steak recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boisblancboy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Bois Blanc Island, Michigan
I looking for some suggestions for smoking a flank steak. My wife makes a good grilled flank steak so I want to try smoking one.

I don't know if I should brine or rub or a marinade? Looking for help. Thanks

I will use a mixture of Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder & Ground Mustard Seed.  All equal Parts.  Then around 1 TBS per pound of meat.  Vacuum bag for 3-4 days to let the magic happen.  Then smoke over Hickory or Pecan.  

Sometimes I will also just use Tatonka Dust applied in the same manner.

The beef is darn good on it's own.  If I have it, I may add some blue cheese on top.

Don

I don't think brining would do much for it. A marinade never hurts. For beef I like plain Worcestershire sauce. About a half cup in a zip top bag with the meat, squeeze the air out and let it sit for a few hours to overnight. Then a rub like Donr suggested about an hour before smoking.
For the smoke, a reverse sear would work nicely. A low temp smoke for a couple hours until your meat reaches maybe 20 degrees under your final target, a 20 minute rest, then put it over hot coals until you reach your target. Good luck!

Reactions: mlstanley1956
Hello , I make an involved marinade , however a good Teriaki will do nicely . overnight  soak in vacume , and smoke to mid-well. (160*F or so . . .) and cut across the grain .

Have fun and . . .

Q-view and narration during half - time or
pb.gif

Have fun and . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky