Flammable Barrels - HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noogsmoke

Original poster
May 3, 2013
I found a great deal on Craigslist for some 55g drums @$10 each... or so I thought.  I bought three of them and drove 45 min away to grab them only to find out then from the gentleman that they contain flammable liquid inside.  

How screwed am I?

A few years ago I build a UDS out of a 30gal oil drum but had to leave it when we moved last.  For that build I used my electric angle grinder with a cutting wheel to lop the top off but obviously I want to be more careful with these.

What are my options to getting these babies ready for some meat???

If they still contain flammable liquids he shouldn't be selling them. If its just that they had stuff in them at one time ,different story. If they are open top then just rinse w. water and then add  wood and burn out (stay up wind) . If they have bung top then you need to fill w water and cut the top off.

Then burn out.

They're not full or anything like that, just some residual liquid in the bottom.  They contained Methyl Ethyl Ketone (no idea what that is, but apparently is a commercial solvent of some sort).

How much water do I need?  Fill up all 55g or just enough to make sure no sparks will ignite the vapors/liquid inside?

From Wiki:

Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide (MEKP) is an organic peroxide, a high explosive similar to acetone peroxide.  It rapidly decomposes in temperatures above 100 degrees Farehheit, and can become explosive.

You can do several things.
  1. Remove the vent and let it air out as long as possible. 
  2. If you can get a pressure washing wand, or car wash wand in it, use that to get the interior as clean as you can.  
  3. Fill the barrel with a dish soap and water mixture as full as you can.  Let it sit a while, and leave it in while making the initial cut.
  4. Burn out the barrel.
Good luck!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky