First Whole Hog (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking pig.  I going to try to duplicate this just as you did it.

1)  What is the size of your pit.

2)  Did you rub both sides of the pig

3)  What is the pan in the coals

Thanks for your info
1) The pit is 32 x 48 x  64

2) Yes, Rubbed both sides but had to score the top side as the skin is pretty thick.

3) The foil pan was just water. Which then became water and pork fat. Never had to fill it back up.

Looks like a total success!  Nothing but perfection there.  Cooking with the family, what a great thing!!!
icon14.gif

That looks great. Bet it was a great get together. It seems to be an inexpensive way to do a whole hog. Been wanting to do one and thinking of doing so this summer. Did you turn and have the openings to two blocks above ground level entirely open for air to get in and keep fire burning the whole time or did you damper them off some? Also, did you close the open ends of the pit with block during cooking also? Where did you get that type of sugar? Thanks in advance.

First and last piggy party I went to was hosted by a Master Mason (the brick and mortar kind, not the secret society and silly handshakes kind!) who built a pit for the purpose, and went absolutely hog wild in doing so (pun intended.)

He had to have five grand into the thing. Poured footing, red brick construction, what looked like sandstone for cap stones on the walls, and I have no idea what as a coal bed. Storage under for charcoal and such.

He bought an electric pig rotisserie... 

When I asked him why such an elaborate setup, he said "because I could, and because I intend to use it again" like it was the most obvious answer to the dumbest question ever asked. I suppose he was right!
hit.gif

That looks great. Bet it was a great get together. It seems to be an inexpensive way to do a whole hog. Been wanting to do one and thinking of doing so this summer. Did you turn and have the openings to two blocks above ground level entirely open for air to get in and keep fire burning the whole time or did you damper them off some? Also, did you close the open ends of the pit with block during cooking also? Where did you get that type of sugar? Thanks in advance.
There were 2 more boards that closed in the ends. Otherwise the temps dropped quite a bit. You will see it in the store as "Sugar In The Raw."

Reactions: warnjdutton
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky