First Turkey w/Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey mo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 18, 2009
North Oregon Coast
Bought a fresh 20# turkey and brined it for 2.5 days with the Slaughterhouse Method with the addition of 4 oranges and a whole large yellow onion.

Drained, dried and coated with olive oil, then stuffed pats of butter under the skin and rubbed generously coated with the family run mix.  Into the smoker

The weather is less than cooperative today.  expecting snow showers at the beach tonight.  Fun!

57ac728f_IMG_20101121_133846.jpg

Right now it is just lots of rain and cold.

92bf0ac3_IMG_20101121_133830.jpg
More to come as the day fights on.

Mo.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I would suggest that you get that bird out of the brine. It might be too late for it is probably all mushy. I wouldn't recommand brine a turkey more then 12 hours.

Have to agree w/ mark .12 -16 hrs max. on the brine. A cure can go longer but that's a long time to brine anything.

Arnie-Not sure where the Qviews went.  

Mark- flesh still seemed firm, skin was still intact.  Pulled it up to rub and put butter pats under it.  It is almost to temp now.  We are 4 hours I am above 140 but not quite where I want it.

here it is at the last check point.

10cec964_IMG_20101121_170807.jpg

thanks for keeping me honest.

-rick

FYI- I should check out the workings of the site once in a while.  Hadn't paid much attention since the updated site.   Pilot error.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I also think one of my thermometers is failing.  I just went out to check the bird and it was jumping from 89 to 210 while stationary in the bird. The other one is stable and the bird is ready to come out very soon.  

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be human!

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't get any photos of the carving.  

The texture of the meat seemed good.  It didn't seem to have as much smoke flavor as I wanted.  

What I've learned from this smoke...

more flavor in the brine

less time in the brine

and not smoke during a winter storm warning....

live and learn.

The wood was maple and alder with hickory lump base.  Tried to keep it at 275* ( very hard today) and then up to 350* to crisp the skin.  

Temped out fine everywhere I checked but the thighs were still bloody.  They ended up in the oven to finish.

There’s the Qview! Looks good from my porch!

I’ve been reading on it for about 2 weeks so I know the brine length is controversial.

Now I’ve got to see what’s right.

I’m gonna try 3 turkeys, 3 brines, 3 lengths. 48 hr 24 hr & 12 hr.

The recipes I am trying have all been tried and sworn by.

Time for me to see for myself

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky