first try report

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dzlater

Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
First try with water smoker and I am pleased to say all went well.
I did a chicken and some ribs and they both turned out pretty good.
I did learn a few things, but I think the main thing is to just relax and have fun and chances are you'll wind up with some good food regardless of mistakes.

Here is the quick rundown:
Brined chicken, rubbed ribs, I used a pretty spicey mix for the rub and really caked it on ribs they turned out very hot.
I fired up the smoker and as soon as the coals were ready I put the meat on. And thew on some wood . Put on the lid and let it go for two hours.
I have one of those oven dial thermometers and left it on top rack. It was reading around 275. I moved the thermo to the bottem rack and it read 350.
I did try and cool it down by taking the lid off for a few minutes and spritzing the coals .
At 2.5 hours I checked the meat temps and they both appeared to be done.
I did the AJ and foil on the ribs for 1/2 an hour. Took the foil off for a other 45 min or so and by then I was really hungry so I ate it. Tasted good, the ribs didn't fall off the bones, but pulled off easily, and the chiken tasted moist and smokey.

Glad you are happy with your first results and you will get even better with practise

I don't suppose you took any pix eh? We like pix!

Try to keep your heat down to 225º next time and things will improve.

Great start!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I think I started out with too much charcoal, next time I'll start out with less and add more as needed. I might try and get a better thermometer too.
I have a week to pnder my next attempt. I have a pic but it's too large a file size. If I figure out how to make it smaller I'll upload.

Dan

I know for a fact ... with Image shack, you can upload any size and it will give you a thumb size that folks can click on, which will bring them to the fullsize ... no wonderful details lost!
and that is a good thing!

Sounds good Dan. I rather like my ribs to have a little resistance to them. Falling off the bone is sometimes to much IMHO. I'd rather they pull off than fall off, but I do over do it sometimes.

The spices take a bit of time to figure out what you like. Sometimes it the right mix but to much on the meat that'll do it. It's aways an adventure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky