First try at Roast Beef! Boy was it a success! Lots of Pictures!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
icon_cool.gif

Great job on the roast beef. You will be enjoying the sammies for awhile I bet.

Nice job! I've never done eye of round. Is it pretty tender?
It was very tender though I would suspect even raw hide could be if sliced thin enough! I would definately use that cut again though as it really did turn out as perfect as I could have hoped for.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys!

It was very tender though I would suspect even raw hide could be if sliced thin enough! I would definately use that cut again though as it really did turn out as perfect as I could have hoped for.

Thanks again for all the compliments guys!

We like to take the leftover slices and run it thru some warm Au Jus for sammies. That seems to make it super tender.

I almost drooled over the slicer in that picture more than the beef.  I am on the lookout for one now.  Man those things are expensive.

Good looking qview!! nice job.

I almost drooled over the slicer in that picture more than the beef.  I am on the lookout for one now.  Man those things are expensive.

Good looking qview!! nice job.
Keep an eye on Craigslist. I got my slightly used fleetwood 220S for $165 off CL. The guy was asking $250 for it but opted to take my offer. I know I got a great deal on it as it was barely used and spotless. The better slicers are built to last so if you can find a good deal on a used one within your budget, jump on it. This is my first meat slicer and I am very happy with my decision.

That said, redclaymud mentioned hobby... I tend to agree with him in that for me this is a bit of a hobby though my stomach might argue that. I tend to be a bit impulsive and excessive. I had been eyeballing a new Green Mountain Daniel Boone smoker on CL for a few weeks. The day before yesterday I bit the bullet. The guy was kind enough to deliver it to me from Santa Barbara which is about 70 miles from my home. It happened that he was coming my way that day which satisfied my need for instant gratification and was enough to convice me to get it.. I had it setup and burning in/seasoning within an hour of it being delivered after which, I spent a few hours checking the temps at various places on the grill and making baffle adjustments while familiarizing myself with its characteristics. 

I will continue to use my MES for smaller smokes but the new GMG will be much more practical for larger smokes and given that its a self controlled pellet burner, I can go to sleep or go to the office during a long smoke and have the piece of mind that the smoke will go as planned as its truly a set it and forget smoker.

Saturday night will be my first smoke on the new unit.. It's a 14 pound pork butt! Pulled Pork will be on the menu for Sunday.. I will be sure to start a new thread for that in the Pork section Saturday night or Sunday morning.

In the mean time, here is a picture of the new smoker seasoning.

64151042_IMG_0822.jpg

Last edited:
I love those Costco Eye Round roasts!  I've done them a couple times, Smoke them specifically for sandwiches.  I always slice one and throw the other in the freezer for a couple weeks later.  Can't beat them!

Hey slief, congrats on that new Green Mountain!  That is a sweet lookin' rig for sure.  I've always been intrigued by digital pellet smokers, but have never used one.  Out of curiosity, do you mind tellin' us what you gave for it?  Might need to put one on my wish list. 
icon_wink.gif

Hey slief, congrats on that new Green Mountain!  That is a sweet lookin' rig for sure.  I've always been intrigued by digital pellet smokers, but have never used one.  Out of curiosity, do you mind tellin' us what you gave for it?  Might need to put one on my wish list. 
icon_wink.gif

I had been considering a digital pellet smoker for a few months now and did a fair amount of research. I friend of mine had pointed out Traeger Grills but after doing a bunch of research and finding numerous complaints, I scratched that off my list. I was also searching the local craigslist when I came across somebody that had a bunch of the GMG Daniel Boones in stock. I read up on them and found mostly great reviews and raving reviews about GMG customer service. After a month or so of being on the fence, I bit the bullet. Since the cost was well below what I have seen them online for, I will send you a PM with the cost.I can tell you here though that is was much less than a comparable Traeger and below $700.

I did my first smoke on it this weekend. It was 14 pounds worth of Pork Butt. I put a thread in the pork section but what I can tell you is that the grill is amazing. I smoked for 17 hours straight at about 220. No foiling either. Just a good rub. After 8 hours or so I began spritzing  them down with Apple juice every hour. The end result was a great dark bark and tender pork with an incredible smoke ring. My son thought it was burnt but I assured him that it wasn't. The bark turned out like candy and even my son loved it. I was really concerned that they would turn out overly smokey but that was not the case at all. They had a perfect smokiness to them with results far better than I had expected. 

That said, I am very pleased with my choice! I had a couple questions prior to my first smoke. A call to GMG was answered by one of the techs who not only answered my questions but also spent the next 20 or so minutes schooling me with tips and advice. Not only am I overly happy with my grill but their support is second to none in my experience.

I know my response was more than you asked but I am pleased enough with the grill that I can't say enough good things about it and GMG.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky