First Try at Pickles - Couple Questions for Experts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
Since pickles go well with BBQ, I thought I would try to make some basic dill pickles. Over the last couple weeks, I assembled the needed supplies, several of which were not in stock at the time.

Finally got around to the actual canning. I used the traditional water bath canning method. Used the Ball Dill Pickle recipe, half vinegar/half water, garlic, fresh dill and processed for 15 minutes. They are now cooling. I heard the "tink" as the lids sealed (at least they do not pop when I press down). Top picture is fitting them into the jars and the bottom is out of the bath and resting.

IMG_0977.jpg
IMG_0982.jpg

I know they are supposed to cool for 12 -24 hours, and now my questions:

With this canning method, they are pantry shelf stable for a couple months, right? (If sealed properly, which I believe they are)

Second, how long would you recommend that they flavorize? Couple weeks? I have read that it can be anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks.

Any other tips/comments? Fun process for the first time and I am looking forward to doing more. I planted some cucumbers in pots and I assume my home grown will be better that the Walmart special cukes I found :emoji_slight_smile:

Thanks All for looking and your advice!

Howling Dog

If properly done in the water bath your pickles will be shelf stable for up to a year. Technically they can last even longer but food safety could become an issue so that's up to you. Store with the rings off. Somewhere dark. I let mine sit for 2 weeks minimum before I eat. I like to add some cayenne to mine for a little heat

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks TNJake, I appreciate the quick reply.

And yes, "if properly done". I will see. I do have volunteers ready to try them. As this is my first batch, I went with a more basic recipe and will modify based on how mild or spicy these are.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Several years ago the flats (lids) were produced with a better gasket material. Not only did it not require warming, it extended the life of canned goods to 18 months. Most of my canned foods are eaten in 7 to 9 months anyway, but it's nice to know there is an additional safety factor.

You can tickle the approved Ball recipes a little, maybe add a few peppercorns, or some garlic slices to the jars... just don't veer too far off the recipe and everything will be fine. In addition to the "ping" test, HERE is a short video showing the "spoon test" I did on some pizza sauce.... just another level of confidence in your canning process. For what it's worth I've had occasional jars that did not seal when processing, but in 40+ years of canning I've never had a jar on the shelf turn weird.

I've only done fridge pickles. They also last for up to a year in the fridge. Less work with great results. I vacuum seal mine so they were ready to eat in about a week.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Pickles look great. We usually wait around 6 weeks to 8 weeks before we open up a jar and keep for up to 18months. Another great resource in additional to the ball book is the nation center for home food preservation. They have a ton information and recipes. https://nchfp.uga.edu/

Thx Everyone for your comments and help! Been three days and they are looking like pickles. I checked the seals and all appears good. Gonna wait at least 10 days then give them a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky