First try at Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

american_greenz

Original poster
Mar 11, 2023
I did my first brisket a couple of weeks ago. I tried the Goldees method but made a few mistakes. Took out of the smoker at 180 degrees and should have done 190 degrees. Also, used too much salt on the rub. Here are some photos. Tasted very good, but can do much better next time.

17lb brisket, trimmed to 10 lbs, smoked down to about 6.8 lbs.

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: TexasMuskrat
I always judge a brisket doneness by the flat where it goes under the point. One thing I learned from the pros...
This was exactly my mistake. I did probe it, but what I thought was soft wasn't actually soft. I guess that comes from experience.

Yes. But I should have waited until 190. The point was getting overcooked, but the flat was still too tough.
The point always gets “over cooked” no way around that on a intact brisket packer, don’t worry about that it eats perfectly. Watch the flat and just probe the flat. 195F IT is where I stop checking temp and just probe for tender. It’s done when it’s done.

I did my first brisket a couple of weeks ago. I tried the Goldees method but made a few mistakes. Took out of the smoker at 180 degrees and should have done 190 degrees. Also, used too much salt on the rub. Here are some photos. Tasted very good, but can do much better next time.

17lb brisket, trimmed to 10 lbs, smoked down to about 6.8 lbs.
Hi there and welcome!

The guys are giving you excellent advice!
The thickest yet center most portion of the flat is the place to check for tenderness. The point muscle will always be tender way before the flat. The flat is the problem child.

One of the main rules of a brisket is that it is only done when it is tender, never by time or temp.
Many start checking around 195F-200F. I check around 200F on choice or select briskets and 198F on Prime briskets.

I personally don't wrap but my system works well for brisket that way.
If I do wrap beef (I do with chucks) I personally wait until an Internal Temp (IT) of 190F and never before 180F.

Place the probe in the thickest yet center most part of the flat muscle (under where it and the point usually meat) and that will give you a shot at good temperature reporting. I use 3 probes from different angles aiming for that area because it's easy to NOT get it in the correct spot. I go by the lowest one.

When time to check for tenderness I stab all over with a bamboo skewer and usually that thickest center most spot on the flat is last to tender up.

You follow the rule of tenderness and the techniques of when/how to check and your brisket till improve every time! :)

Reactions: american_greenz
Looks good for a first brisket. I've done that myself before. I just put it in the oven at 200 for 4 hrs next day and it became nice and tender.
Good learning, i think every brisket you cook teaches you something new for the next one.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky