First try at bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
So I’ve been seeing all the posts for bacon and decided to give it a try. Not shooting for the moon on this one but want to make sure I’m on the right track. I have this cut , is it even the right cut? Then I’m planning on putting it in a brine for 8 days or so if I read correct. Then it goes on the smoker at 100* for 12 hours. Then slice it thin and make some bacon on the stove. Is that the right track? I’ve read about pops cure but I don’t have any of the pink cure salt? Is there a more basic cure or brine I could use? And is the 100* accurate for the temp? Or any other pointers. I’ve seen a lot of how to threads but they are pretty in depth I’m just looking for an easy first time route.

Attachments

• 879E50BA-18B1-47EB-B341-CB23759681A1.jpeg
    879E50BA-18B1-47EB-B341-CB23759681A1.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 7DCBD359-515D-43AB-98B9-DC5ACFBE7644.jpeg
    7DCBD359-515D-43AB-98B9-DC5ACFBE7644.jpeg
    168.6 KB · Views: 22
You bought the right cut for bacon....but, FYI, you can make bacon out of pork butt too. Pioneer bacon, of what some call buckboard bacon.

You definitely need cure #1....
You can use morton's tenderquick if you can source that locally.

I would not recommend attempting making bacon without cure for your first time. Though it CAN be done, it is not recommended because of the risks involved...you have to know what you are doing. Those commercial operations that do make it without cure, have instruments where they can monitor moisture levels and salt concentrations to know they have a good product.

And definitely not cold smoked uncured bacon...you would need to hot smoke it to ensure it climbs out of the danger zone within 4 hours.

Also, those operations that make bacon without cure#1 do not brine cure the bacon, they use a dry cure in order to pull moisture out of the meat for better preservation.....I would not do it using a brine cure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky