First tri tip smoke!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fathomthis

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Just sat down after a rough start on my first smoke. I think i got a little over zealous with the coals as its running a little hot around 275 and i hope im not botching it.

Im nervous for this one but i got all the steps down . water, foiled mesquite, LOTS of dry rub, and my thermos. gawd it smells so good!

you should be good 275 isnt too bad. Just make sure it doesnt spike more.

You will be fine at the higher heat.  Tri tip is grilled over a medium low heat much more traditionally and more often than they are smoked.  Those will smoke up fine if you stay on top of the internal temperature.  This cut does not require the low and slow. Be sure to slice across the grain which runs every which direction.  LOL

Good luck and enjoy!

Spiked HIGH! i need to leave the lid off for a while and let it settle but im losing all that smoke! ugh stay strong little tri tips!

yeah i saw that ive been cutting my grilled tips wrong this whole time. any tips and cooling the hotness. ive got a basic gourmet vertical and there are no vents so i just have it opened up.

Pulled them out. i let them sit for about 20 minutes before i carved the small one and its really goooood. not a huge smoke ring though but i know why and a little to much cumin. but im excited! id say my first smoke was a success.

Congrats on the Tri tip! I too did my first one this past weekend, this is a good cut of meat.

Got any pics? or maybe you have posted them but I can't view them at work.. hehe

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

oh I so shouldn't of looked at this before bed. That looks great!

What was your final internal temp? Mine was a little more done than yours, I should of took it off sooner than 159F.

Well it looks like you pulled off a good smoke..

As for tri-tips, they have a wonderfull beef flavor so you definately can cut back on the season. I have gone with just kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and it was excellent. I have also addd some rosemary and thyme by suggestion of another member and it was great too.

For the smoke, I do mine at about 275-280 from start to finish. Beef needs to be kept med rare ort below for my liking(unless I'm doing a chuck or brisky). I like to take mine to 140, shut down the heat and let it coast up to 145 in the remainder of the smoke. I use my GOSM gasser for tri's just because of how fast they cook..

I lightly tent it on a cutting board for 10-15 minutes.

For slicing, you want to start at the blunt corner and work your way into the roast. you should come to the long points at the same time with your knife..

Here's my first one..

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95441/first-tri-tip-is-on

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky