First Tri Tip Plan - Any...Tips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcokevin

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2016
Orlando FL
Threw a 2.5lb tri-tip in to the Wild Fork order. Was planning to do burgers Monday but the tri-tip looked good, so will do some sandwiches instead.

Plan is to reverse sear it and smoke the tri-tip at 225 until the IT reaches around 115, then take it off and sear. Figure the IT will hit about 125 during sear, then coast up to ~130 during a rest. Budgeting about 2 hours for the smoke portion, which I think should be more than enough.

Never done a tri-tip before, so any tips here? I know I need to slice against the grain. Anything wrong with my plan?

Reactions: millerbuilds
The only thing I would suggest is to wrap it tight in foil, bunching up the meat, like a burrito shape. Do this prior to the sear, rest it in the foil for ~15-20 mins, then sear. You’ll end up with much more uniform medallion like cuts rather than flat thin slices.

A lot of times I skip the sear and I have to say I’ve been incredibly happy with the results. Wrap tight for rest then slice, and wow!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky