First Tri-Tip, I'm almost embarrassed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Danabw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 29, 2020
Having lived in SoCal for the last, oh, 45 years in a row, I've eaten a lot of Tri-Tip. I snuck into Costco early a week or so ago to beat the crowds and pick up a few things we were low on, and was wandering down the meat isle when I saw a pile of Tri-Tips on display. I picked up a package of two (like everything else at Costco, you must buy in bulk) and proceeded home.

My son helped my bring things in and when he saw the Tri-Tip he asked me how I was going to cook it. I paused and realized I didn't have any idea yet, as (and here's the embarrassment part) I had never cooked Tri-Tip in my life. I've eaten it with neighbors and family, and at work functions, you pretty much can't avoid getting served Tri-Tip if frequently if you live in SoCal and know anyone who has a grill, BBQ, or smoker. I ate it so often outside my home that I realized that I had never bothered to cook any myself. I hadn't consiciously avoided it, so the revelation was a bit of a shock.

I ended up w/a simple approach. I had two steaks, so I cooked the smaller of the two for the first try - about 1lb 4oz. Put on a little EVOO on it, then applied a rub I use for steaks, and let it sit in the fridge for a couple hours. Fired up the MES 30 and used some hickory chips. SInce this was going to be a short smoke (1-2 hours) I used decided to chips instead of the AMNPS. Turned out I only used one load of chips so it was the right choice. Wife was really happy w/the smoke level, so that worked out.

Smoked for a little more than an hour to get to 135 IT, then seared in cast iron and finished in the oven to take it into the 140's for the wife, who likes things a little more cooked than I do. But she's the boss of me, I freely admit. ;-)

Came out great, and my son deglazed the cast iron pan we seared it in, added red wine, some butter, and a little seasoning. His au jus was the best part of the meal, really made the Tri-Tip come alive. Eaten w/garlic mashed potatoes and modified caprese salad (homegrown tomatoes and basil w/basalmic & salt and pepper, no mozarella as we wanted it a bit lighter). Malbec for our beverage. Just fantastic.

My wife and son were so excited when it was ready to eat that I have no pics of the finished cut whole...they were slicing it up before I could get my hands on my phone.

Now I need to plan ahead to make it for everyone who's served it to me over the years. Tri-Tip payback time...which will be fun. :D

Pic from the back-side after my wife had already sliced off a bunch on the other end in her excitement.
20200720_174433.jpg

Action shot! Money!
20200720_173524.jpg

How she likes it is how I cook it. Have to admit it tasted really great.
20200720_174448.jpg

That looks great!
It would've been much better if you cut it against the grain instead of with it.
Google how to cut a Tri Tip, it's a weird cut of meat the grain changes directions in the elbow of the meat/ where the meat makes the turn.

Here, I googled it for you so you can understand what I'm talking about.
1595316694744.png

Looks perfectly cooked. We don't see Tri Tip around here, but I'd have that in a quick minute!
Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Looks good from here! We don't see tri tips around here very often but sure do snatch them up when I can. Nice job on your first try!

Thanks for the kind comments, all. I'm still kind of amazed this was the first.

That looks great!
It would've been much better if you cut it against the grain instead of with it.
Google how to cut a Tri Tip, it's a weird cut of meat the grain changes directions in the elbow of the meat/ where the meat makes the turn.

Here, I googled it for you so you can understand what I'm talking about.
View attachment 455005
Thanks for that graphic, very useful. My wife's cuts were partly against the grain, but I had no idea there was a 90 degree turn in this cut, very intersting, and explains why the tenderness of the cuts were not consistent end-to-end.

Great looking TT, but Forktender is right. Cut across the grain will make them melt in your mouth!
Al

Great looking TT, but Forktender is right. Cut across the grain will make them melt in your mouth!
Al
Luckily we have leftovers, so those will be cut against the grain and on the bias! :)

I haven't done tri tip in years. It used to be my go to cut of beef when we were tailgating for 49er games. My method was to marinate for 5 to 7 days in the Stubbs beef marinade then grill over a hot fire using hickory chunks. The long marinade time always resulted in a tender piece of beef. We had a big group of people in our tailgating group so there always was lots of food. People seemed to like it because there was never any leftovers, even when I made 3. Might have to make one again.

Triptip is fast becoming my favorite cut of beef. Costco here in NY does not sell it but my local restaurant depot (restaurant supply house) always has them. They usually sell them in large packages of 7 tritips ( I know tough problem to have). I smoke them to 110 deg, vac pack them and when ready sous vide to 132 deg, quick sear and wow the room when served. This has a great impact on guests here in NY/PA as most have never seen this cut before.

Reactions: Danabw
I haven't done tri tip in years. It used to be my go to cut of beef when we were tailgating for 49er games. My method was to marinate for 5 to 7 days in the Stubbs beef marinade then grill over a hot fire using hickory chunks. The long marinade time always resulted in a tender piece of beef. We had a big group of people in our tailgating group so there always was lots of food. People seemed to like it because there was never any leftovers, even when I made 3. Might have to make one again.
I've used the Stubbs sauce before, as I remember it was pretty good. Never tried his marinade, but maybe I will now. So no issues w/the beef starting to go off w/such a long marinade? I start to feel uneasy when I have meat in the fridge for more than 3-4 days.

Triptip is fast becoming my favorite cut of beef. Costco here in NY does not sell it but my local restaurant depot (restaurant supply house) always has them. They usually sell them in large packages of 7 tritips ( I know tough problem to have). I smoke them to 110 deg, vac pack them and when ready sous vide to 132 deg, quick sear and wow the room when served. This has a great impact on guests here in NY/PA as most have never seen this cut before.
That sounds like a great method, love the fact that it allows you to whip out a quick/great main course w/minimum complexity when guests are there.

Reactions: clifish
I've used the Stubbs sauce before, as I remember it was pretty good. Never tried his marinade, but maybe I will now. So no issues w/the beef starting to go off w/such a long marinade? I start to feel uneasy when I have meat in the fridge for more than 3-4 days.

Its in the cold part of the refrigerator in a double ziploc. Never had an issue. I do a butterflied boneless leg of lamb that way too for the annual Rams games.

Reactions: Danabw
Its in the cold part of the refrigerator in a double ziploc. Never had an issue. I do a butterflied boneless leg of lamb that way too for the annual Rams games.
Thanks. Maybe I've been a little bit too concerned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky