First Tri Tip attempt.......and fail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Charcoal Chump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tried Tri Tip today for the first time, and it didn't turn out very well.
I followed the Traeger Smoked Tri Tip recipe on their app, flavor was good but some parts were very chewy. Oh well next time.
L7R9RU+1T%WsMlOnUHfkfw.jpg
itKIraFTSyet9lkIpynzmw.jpg
8l%lYDMUQ5yDOhtaGWep%Q.jpg
5mW0XoyiSGad8WlHZDrAQA.jpg

It looks evenly cooked so I doubt that the IT was the problem. With tri tip slicing across the grain is important. My guess is that you didn't slice the whole thing properly. But, I have been known to be wrong at times.

hqdefault.jpg

I marinate the tritip in bbq sauce and they come out great. Even couple hours in the marinade is enough. I pulled my first tritip at 125 and it was also chewy.

The recipe said to pull at 135 and wrap in foil while turning the temp to high then to put it back on for 4 minutes per side. I tried to cut against the grain and did switch direction when I hit the other part but I may have got it a bit wrong.
I may try a marinade next time.

I don’t use any marinade....have done several and has been a super easy cut to took well. I flip them when hit about 110 or so and pull off at 137.5. Why that temp? Because I pulled the first one I did off there and it was great, and all have turned out similar.

I would try one without foil. It honestly should be the easiest cook....and I literally have not made steak since doing Tri-tip....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky