First Timers Easy Sausage Recipe ~ Jump in with both feet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2018
BC Canada/ Tucson, Az.
Greeting one and all. I jumped into sausage making partly do to conversations over too many pints of beer and to keep up to my wife who bought a smoker last year and is the queen of smoking in our parts.

With a couple pints of IPA under my belt I went searching for a cheap introductory sausage maker on line. I found one on Overstock for $58.00 and thought, nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's fine for grinding but will need some tune ups before the next batch of sausage.
upload_2018-9-12_10-31-27.jpeg

Now the recipe for this farmer type sausage is as follows:
5 pounds pork shoulder – ground course

1 tbs salt
2 tbs pepper
1 teaspoon cure
1 1/2 tbs fennel
1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 1/2 tbs onion powder

• mix well rest overnight in fridge.
upload_2018-9-12_10-45-56.jpeg

Stuffing:
Freeze for 1 hr prior to stuffing to firm up the texture.

stuff into 34-36mmm casings into 10-12" sections. allow links to air dry until dry to the touch, can be sped up by placing in front of a fan. *( I used collagen casings so they were dry almost instantly).
As you can see in the following picture, my measurements were not exact in the lengths I made. The closer they are in size, the better the final results when smoking ( hey it was my first time too).

upload_2018-9-12_10-51-38.jpeg

Smoking:
Hot smoking start at around 120 F and raise smoker temp by about 10 deg F every half hour until it reaches 170. *( high math says that'll take 2.5 hours from when you put them in the smoker until you hit 170 F.
-Do not go above this temp or you may get fat rendering around the outside of the sausage.

upload_2018-9-12_10-54-28.jpeg

Smoke until you get to internal temp of 155 F.
*(Grounds meats are more susceptible to bacteria. You can cook your pork chop to 140 but your Sausage has to hit 155 to kill off more of the bugs).

Approx time required to hit 155 F for me was 3 hours at 170F.

Remove from the smoker and ( if you use collagen casings) hang to cool in a cool place until the internal temperature hits 100 F.

upload_2018-9-12_11-2-46.jpeg

Now the hard part:
Allow links to cool and bloom in refrigerator overnight. *( Yes there is a substantial change from when you first pull it out of the smoker and the following day. The flavor is more rounded ( harder to pick out individual flavors like garlic or onion) and the colour is the more traditional processed meat pink.

Below: Fresh out of the smoker
upload_2018-9-12_11-8-12.jpeg

Below: After Blooming overnight.
upload_2018-9-12_11-3-38.jpeg

Now that I have my first batch under my belt and everyone who has eaten it survived, it's time to hit Amazon for a better grinder/ Sausage maker. Next stop Chorizo!

Prep time: ( cut- grind and season meat) 1.5 Hrs.
Casing time: 1Hr.
Graduated smoking time: 5.5 Hrs.

Enjoy and good luck!

Last edited:
Looks good. You might consider getting a stuffer and keeping your grinder for grinding only.

Looks good. You might consider getting a stuffer and keeping your grinder for grinding only.

I'll agree with this as well.. a dedicated stuffer is WAY easier with better results... there has been so many people that finally switched from grinder stuffing to a dedicated stuffer and said they wish they would have done that from the start...

I will also add... your temp ramping is a little to fast... just go with 10` every hour.. not 30 minutes... keep up the good work and keep a written log...

Reactions: Led Freddie
Excuse the simple/stupid question, as I know nothing of making/curing sausage, but why the cure if you are only resting overnight, then hot smoking?

I’d like to read/learn more about this, as that sausage looks fantastic.

Excuse the simple/stupid question, as I know nothing of making/curing sausage, but why the cure if you are only resting overnight, then hot smoking?

You are not hot smoking at those temps, you need the cure to protect the meat from botulism. Hot smoking is 225 or above, he never got his smoker above 170 degrees.

To the OP, very nice job on the sausage, especially since you were using your grinder as a stuffer too!
And congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

Welcome
I notice you haven't completed you sign in so we don't know where you are located. Ha a safety to stop us from beating down your door. A course some of us may even bring beer. :D

Warren

I see your question was answered already.

A couple things about this recipe to add; Its a basic farmer sausage recipe that I have modified. I find store bought sausage too salty so my recipe reduced the salt by 2 tablespoons. I sampled the original mixture and found it flat so added the Fennel to make it more robust.
Sealed up in a zip lock in the fridge and disappearing fast. When the bag is opened the smell of garlic and fennel is present but when heated and served, its not overwhelming. It's a good first time at the stuffer recipe.

I'll agree with this as well.. a dedicated stuffer is WAY easier with better results... there has been so many people that finally switched from grinder stuffing to a dedicated stuffer and said they wish they would have done that from the start...

I will also add... your temp ramping is a little to fast... just go with 10` every hour.. not 30 minutes... keep up the good work and keep a written log...

I had looked at quite a few models and being I wasnt sure how dedicated to this I would be, I bought cheap to test drive the hobby. Now with one batch under my belt and nearly eaten up I am going to look into a better quality machine. Now in saying that, I have to admit I am sticking with the grinder/ stuffer style ( not because i dont agree that having two separate machines would be much better) for an off beat reason.

My wife and I live in Vernon, B.C. Canada and from October to April, we snowbird in Arizona. When we load up the Motor Home to head out, one cargo bay is dedicated to the smoker. I can struggle though with the compact style of the grinder/stuffer. Nothing like the taste of home wherever we park it.

Welcome
I notice you haven't completed you sign in so we don't know where you are located. Ha a safety to stop us from beating down your door. A course some of us may even bring beer. :D

Warren

Thanks for the like
Led Freddie Its greatly appreciated.

Dang I see your from BC to far to travel could you just UPS me some??

Warren

Just wanted to chime in, and say how amazing your first sausage looks, Led Freddie! I haven't made sausage yet, either, and am seriously considering it.

I already have a great meat grinder, and was wondering if anyone reading this post has recommendations on a good/great sausage stuffer?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky