First timer/too high temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cathy

Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
North Carolina
This is my first time in the MES with the A Mazing smoker.  My temp are too high and not sure how to drop the temp back down. I have closed off the top vent almost completely.  Temp set at 230 but it is 269. Help

Been reading and it seems normal.  I stopped  and reset for 210 we will see.  I know after reading I need a new temp probe. :)

Cathy, morning..... Leave the top vent fully open when smoking.... Pull the chip chute out an inch or so.... pull the chip drawer out 1/2" or so... Those things will increase the air flow....  Do you have a calibrated therm to place in the same proximity as the meat you are cooking??  Is it calibrated so you know it is reading correctly ??  The display temp in the MES is usually off... usually high.... turn the target temp down 30 deg below what you want to cook at....   Each smoker has it's idio's that take learning to figure them out...  

Dave

Thank you Dave....running out to reopen the vent.  I do have a calibrated therm.  Placing in there now.

Each smoker has it's idio's that take learning to figure them out... 

I just looked at that sentence again and started to laugh....   If you inserted a " t " in place of the " '   " ,  It makes sense also..... 
ROTF.gif

Been there, done that....  Dave

Last edited:
Chuck I got the 30 inch electric and I have had to play around with it all day.  I had read and read but when it came time to doing it, 

I forgot most of what I had read.  Anyway, they are ready and good.  I pulled them at 182 just could not wait any longer.  I did use too much rub, next time will cut back.  But over all pretty good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky